Pinion seal needed 65 Riv

Don McClair

The posi rear of my 65 Rivi is leaking pretty bad from the pinion seal and I am at a loss as to where to buy the crush sleeve and pinion nut.  Any help with where to obtain the parts would be greatly appreciated.  I have already checked with Randy's Ring and Pinion in Washington and they could not provide any assistance with the crush sleeve.

Don McClair

In my car repair shop we change pinion seals quite often and we never change the crush sleeve or the nut....we

use them over and it works fine. You want to torque the nut to 250 foot lbs. and use thread locker on the nut so it will stay put. I've

personally seen people attempt to use a new crush sleeve and they couldn't get it to crush enough and the rear end would whine. Then

they would do the job over with the original crush sleeve and everything was fine.

As Winston mentioned you can do the seal without a new crush sleeve or nut. Not saying its the most proper way, but probably more commonly. I also suggest marking the yoke, nut, & pinion with paint marker or scribe. Going back together line up the marks and as mentioned use Loctite on the nut. You can go a wee bit past the mark on the nut if you feel the need.

If you still want to use a new crush sleeve, there is a guy on V8Buick.com that goes by Monzaz. Many people go to him for hard to find rear end parts.