Front Axles

Guest nucmed1

Guest nucmed1

Where can I find front axles for my 1989 TC? I thought they were std Chrysler l car but guess not!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Guest nucmed1

Thank you for the information. What do I need to do ? My TC wobbles @30mph the goes away. My mechanic says the axles! What ever it is, I'd like to have it fixed. Did balancing etc. If it is the "tone rings" are they easy to find?

Thanks...

Steve

Thank you for the information. What do I need to do ? My TC wobbles @30mph the goes away. My mechanic says the axles! What ever it is, I'd like to have it fixed. Did balancing etc. If it is the "tone rings" are they easy to find?

Thanks...

Steve

Let your mechanic find the axle. If he is a professional, he will know where to get it...

Guest nucmed1

Thanks HD. If it's not std issue though, he doesn't want to take time tracking one down, plus he is not proficient on the computer. So I try to help when I can. If I can find what I need then he will install. What else can I say.

If I can find some, I'll buy 'em..

"My TC wobbles @30mph the goes away" A good bump or pot hole can dammage a belt or un true a wheel. Bent wheels, or tires with bad belts will balance and they will also wobble, especially when you put brand new rubber on a bent wheel. Vibrate and wobble are two different problems and before chasing after new axels make sure you have good wheels.

Guest nucmed1

Thanks for the reply. I had tires balanced and guy at tire store said exactly what you said. He did what he could and still had an issue. My regular mechanic says no, he checked and said it's the axle....

Like surgery, should I seek a 3rd opinion?

Thanks

I don't know where you live,but here in central Florida I have three places that rebuild fwd axles. The last I had done were $150 for the pair with a 3 year warranty. They looked brand new when they got done. Any mechanic worth his salt will know a local rebuilder. With all the FWD and 4WD's on the road-these rebuilders are out there. Look on line or yellow pages-you know that paper thing called a book-for a good local driveshaft shop.

Thanks for the reply. I had tires balanced and guy at tire store said exactly what you said. He did what he could and still had an issue. My regular mechanic says no, he checked and said it's the axle....

Like surgery, should I seek a 3rd opinion?

Thanks

Lets start from the beginning. Is it an 89 with the automatic transmission? Do you need left side or right side axle? Is the intermediate shaft, on the right side OK?

Let us know this and we can help search for the correct axle.

Guest nucmed1

Ok....

Yes 1989 auto transmission, need both the right and left axles. Yes, the intermediate shaft is on the right side.

As far as a rebuilt, the guy that used to do it for him is no longer in business. I can look into it more if I cannot find replacement axles.

Thanks...you guys rock!

Ok....

Yes 1989 auto transmission, need both the right and left axles. Yes, the intermediate shaft is on the right side.

As far as a rebuilt, the guy that used to do it for him is no longer in business. I can look into it more if I cannot find replacement axles.

Thanks...you guys rock!

Check this out on RockAuto  

All Vehicles > CHRYSLER > 1992 > LEBARON > 2.5L L4 Turbocharged > Drivetrain > CV Half Shaft Assembly

These are both the short shafts with tone wheels. ONE IMPORTANT THING Tone wheel sensors, in the wheel hub, must be repositioned to proper clearance prior to driving the car or if there is interference during installation.

Guest nucmed1

Thank you. I'll show this to my mechanic. I have no idea what makes one different from another, but he will.

I'll let you know what transpires...

Thanks again!

Guest nucmed1

Looks like I will order #80 1967.

Not sure if that is both th and left side, and don't see a # for rock auto to ask.

Will I need to order rt intermediate axle seperatly?.

Thanks

Looks like I will order #80 1967.

Not sure if that is both th and left side, and don't see a # for rock auto to ask.

Will I need to order rt intermediate axle seperatly?.

Thanks

Why do you think you need the intermediate shaft? Unless there is something wrong with it, which there almost never is, you don't need it.

Intermediate axle assembly the bearings do fail and ive had a few that it gets super loose

That may new so, in such limited number that nucmed1  should not concern himself with this at the moment. The shaft U-Joint can be replaced like any other and the support bearing rarely fails. Unless his is defective, there is no use pursuing this issue further.