Sign in to follow this  
MrEarl

BUICK Stained Glass on eBay...

Oh My, would I love to have this in the transom window of my new garage.  First I have ever seen. Nice size. Considering the original 1976 price tag of $199, not a bad buy in today's high dollar sign market. I think it looks better unframed personally.  Hopefully someone here can have it under their Christmas tree. Please treat us with pictures if so.  Posting all the pictures for future reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-STAINED-GLASS-SIGNATURE-PANEL-LIMITED-EDITION-79-500-CIRCA-1976-/361445415705?hash=item5427d35b19:g:L-cAAOSwT5tWP800#viTabs_0

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Great item, this is at least the 2nd and i am pretty sure the 3rd that has shown up on eBay in about a 10-15 year period.

• Like 1

Btw, The owner of Ross Buick (i believe his name was Chuck) was or still is a long time BCA member.

I also believe it is a semi close reproduction of one that was used early on in Buick dealers but in a larger size - in the teens and twenties.  There was an original on eBay about a decade ago that was not one of these, colors were different and it was much larger and had been removed from a Buick dealership.  It sold for close to $1000.

I think you misunderstood, i belive these 500 windows as shown in this auction were possibly.

A reproduction (got the idea from) a stained glass window that was possibly used in the early Buick days. There is no quesrion as to the history of these windows shown.

As i had said, i saw a larger version of this window in a little different color about 10 years ago that came out of a old Buick dealership from the early days. I bid on that one at the time but it went way out of my range.

This is the first one of these i have seen with the documentation, so it was great learning the history of this item.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it a (semi close reproduction), but a ORGINAL/NEW production in smaller scale, looking similar to a piece from the past.

In my book, a reproduction is making it appear as the original did years ago. Being it is in different colors, and smaller in size takes away the reproduction distinction.

It's a NEW, ORGINAL piece,

Nothing personal, just my opinion,

Dale in Indy

I've got a feeling this thing is much more beautiful in person than the pictures can't even begin to depict. Reading the design statement it is a combination of leaded glass, etched glass and painted glass. Absolutely a perfect size for a transom window. Dear Santa, before I say I have been a good boy, what do you already know about....

I wouldn't call it a (semi close reproduction), but a ORGINAL/NEW production in smaller scale, looking similar to a piece from the past.

In my book, a reproduction is making it appear as the original did years ago. Being it is in different colors, and smaller in size takes away the reproduction distinction.

It's a NEW, ORGINAL piece,

Nothing personal, just my opinion,

Dale in Indy

SMH

If you find ones in the future, keep in mind it is primarily a painted glass piece and not a traditional pieced together stained glass piece.  You see this type of "stained glass" done in this era.  It appears the corners and the blue boarder around the center Buick panel is pieced, the rest painted including the Center Buick logo. 

This one being new with all the documents brought about twice what the last one that sold brought.

Perfect item to hang in the Buick garage window

Sold....snoozed a bit too long I suppose....oh well, just as well, $525 can buy some but not lots of electrical wiring and fixtures.

Thanks for your input Kyle. Here is what the seller had to say about my inquiry about the type of glass etc. I hope whoever bought it will fulfill Mr Ross's widows hopes.

Hi Mr Earl.....I am not the original owner of this piece. The original owner was "Charles J. Ross", a retired Buick Dealer in Clearfield, PA. He passed away in Aug. of 2014 and was a very close friend of mine. He designated me as his EXECUTOR and I have been helping his widow with the estate.
This piece is real stained glass and not painted. I guess I would compare it to the stained glass windows found in a church.
Those windows are constantly exposed to the effects of the elements and sunlight and they stand the test of time. I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that the elements will not affect real stained glass.
If you do purchase this, please allow me some extra time ( a couple of days ) to gather the best possible packaging container and the proper padding materials so that this has the very best TLC for shipment. It is such a beautiful and rare item, that the new owner must receive it in the same condition as when it was with the original owner. Mr. Ross's widow wants to see someone appreciate this as much as her husband did. She really wanted a Buick collector to get this.

SMH, that has several meanings, I'm suggesting that YOU edit your post, and explain yourself, I'm sure others are thinking it wasn't very friendly.

I said, NOTHING PERSONAL, just saying,

Dale in Indy

I am a fairly avid collector of stained glass windows (31 windows if that is considered avid) - it is without question stained glass but not in the individual piece stained glass that one thinks of when thinking stained glass - all the black filigree/trim you see is painted design on the glass - the center section and the Buick name are unquestionably painted/etched on - the leaded separation also appears to be what's called copper foil technique or adhesive lead came separating the various sections and not actual lead.  Another dead giveaway is the weight - 9 pounds with a frame - high quality pieced stained glass is HEAVY

This is not putting the piece down in any way, it is a fantastic piece of Buick history - just some info for the next time one comes up (more than likely without all the paperwork)

BTW (by the way) SMH is (shaking my head) the same as RME is (rolling my eyes) all very common accepted abbreviations in the electronic keyboard world - Google it

Here are a couple fun Buick pieces of stained glass neither are antique but make nice display pieces and decent quality - you can see the orange and white one used the copper foil technique (not always as obvious as it being copper colored) and the red white and blue one uses actual lead - I don't have one with lead came to show.

Edited by MrNova (see edit history)

I did remember I have a lamp that used the self adhesive lead came strips between the sections of glass so you can see that version - this is the product I believe the Buick window on eBay used

Edited by MrNova (see edit history)

Just a quick note here guys:  These were done for several GM Divisions as I have one for Oldsmobile.  Same size, I had it in the original packaging as well be fore I hung it up in the man cave and it is similar to the packaging as this one.  Mr. Earl, sorry but a friend bought it after I alerted him to it.  It is going to home of a great Buick enthusiast

When you are as old as I am and a former GM dealer from that time you are "full" of trivia and some knowledge! :)  GM produced a lot of nostalgic pieces back in the day.  I just wish I was smart enough to save everything that came to my dealership...let some neat pieces go. 

Mr. Earl, sorry but a friend bought it after I alerted him to it.  It is going to home of a great Buick enthusiast

Wow Steve, thanks...with friends like you, who needs enemies. Just kidding, I should have gotten off the fence sooner. Glad to know it went to your friends home. I am still not sure it would have held up to the elements of where I wanted to put it which is on an exterior south facing wall, receiving a good bit of sun. I have looked into having one made and the prices for that exceed what this one sold for.

Care to share a picture of your Oldsmobile one here. Can't be as beautiful as BUICK but would still like to see it ;):D