Is this a Studebaker?

ply33

The back of this photo is simply labeled "1934". It is from a family photo album from my mother's family. I understand that my grandfather favored Studebakers in the 1930's, so I think there is a good chance that this is one. But all the photos I have come up with only show side or front angles.<BR> ab19340000a.jpg <br clear="all">Based on the overall body shape, if it is a Studebaker I suspect it is most likely a 1932 model. If it is something else, it could be as late as a 1934 I think. Can anyone help out here with a good identification of the car?<P>By the way, the black letters on light background is consistent with the colors used in California in 1932, 1934, 1936, etc., so I think the date on the photo is probably correct.<P>Thanks...<p>[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: ply33 ]

It is hard to tell from this picture, not enough of the car is showing to be sure. The only part of the car that looks like it is a Studebaker is the rear bumper. The 1931-33 Studebakers used the one bar bumper with the "V" dip in the center. The belt line that wraps around to the back of the car looks like what Studebaker used in '32-33, but it seems a little larger than what Studebaker used, but I am could be wrong. Not enough of the car is showing to be sure. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Taking a clue from PeterG, I have rescanned the detail that actually shows just the car. Since it is rather large and this thread will load slow enough as is, I will simply link to the detail shot: <a href="http://www.ply33.com/temp/ab19340000a_1.jpg">Click here</a>.<P>Your comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks - Tod

The photo was taken from about the worst angle to do an ID from, the roof line appears to be close to a cloth covered padded upholstery fashion used on Brougham models in 1932. The plate number 57 893 might be traced through DMV records for your suspected state. You might have to spend time on a micro film reader searching the files yourself.