WANTED 1909 Cadillac Front Axle / Front End

Hi , Orrie , well here is some information. I think chances are that Model Thirty Cadillacs 1909 - 1912 shared the same tubular front axle. In 1913 they went to an I-beam axle. Since about five or six times as many 1910 - 1912 Model Thirtys were built as 1909s , that is a much wider field to search. Cadillac - LaSalle Club registers only 2 1909s , and about 28 1910 - 1912. Is your friend a member ? I highly recommend membership. I know only a little about Model Thirtys , perhaps an authority on these will see this. Hopefully they will have a parts car. Good luck , and please post your progress. Exciting to think another ancient car will soon be back on the road ! - Carl

Hi Orrie

The 1909 and early 1910's used ABB front and rear end in mid 1910 they changed to Timken so you will need to find  correct ABB (American Ball Bearing) front end, Unfortunately there is not as many 09's out there as 10 - 14's, so parts are hard to find. Good luck.

Good morning , Russell , do you think the later front axle could be easily adapted to fit temporarily ? Much easier to find on someone's slightly newer Model Thirty parts car ? The correct axle might be a long time coming , and if that were keeping the car off the road indefinitely , might this be an interim solution ? My obvious lack of familiarity with these cars does not temper my empathy for someone who longs to put a rare car back on the road. We have all known someone who has aged waiting for a scarce part. - Carl

Hi Carl

I think you could probably get a 1910 one to work, certainly until a correct one comes along.

Unfortunately Layton 13 front end would probably be too big as the 13/14 were a bigger heavier car. If you measure the holes for the U bolts and the distance between the U bolts you can get an idea of if it will fit. You will need to change the stub axles as the 13/14 ones are heavier than the 1909 ones.