What do you call this and who sells them?

Lebowski

This button operates the dome light when you open the door on my Edsel. The light comes on when I open the passenger door but it doesn't come on when the driver's door is opened. When I switched them with each other the driver's door lit it up when opened but not the passenger door so that tells me it's not the wiring it's this little button thing. Will someone please tell me what it's called and who sells them? Thanks....

post-101899-0-56748200-1449094435_thumb.

post-101899-0-73228900-1449094447_thumb.

post-101899-0-28061600-1449094458_thumb.

post-101899-0-97801800-1449094469_thumb.

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

try this as a starting point for obsolete Ford parts,

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1YBKB_enUS506US544&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8

or just go to your local auto parts store and match it up, maybe in the "HELP" isle.

You might have to modify the current version and make a small jumper wire to ground the switch

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_edsel/courtesy-light-switch-for-7-8-door-pillar-mounting-hole-2-wires-edsel-only.html

Courtesy Light Switch - For 7/8 Door Pillar Mounting Hole - 2 Wires - Edsel Only

Part #: 58-19796-1
Alt Part #: 8M-13713 OEM Part #: 8M-13713 Price:
$6.95 ea.
Low Price Guarantee
Availability:
In Stock
Fitment:
1958 thru 1967
See applications below for exact details.

Add to WishlistAdd Items to CartQty:   
..DESCRIPTION
DESCRIPTION
Courtesy Light Switch - For 7/8 Door Pillar Mounting Hole -,2 Wires - Edsel Only

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_edsel/courtesy-light-switch-for-7-8-door-pillar-mounting-hole-2-wires-edsel-only.html

Courtesy Light Switch - For 7/8 Door Pillar Mounting Hole - 2 Wires - Edsel Only

Part #: 58-19796-1

Alt Part #: 8M-13713 OEM Part #: 8M-13713 Price:

$6.95 ea.

Low Price Guarantee

Availability:

In Stock

Fitment:

1958 thru 1967

See applications below for exact details.

Add to WishlistAdd Items to CartQty:   

..DESCRIPTION

DESCRIPTION

Courtesy Light Switch - For 7/8 Door Pillar Mounting Hole -,2 Wires - Edsel Only

Thanks for finding that for me. It looks like the right part except for one problem. I went out and measured the hole and it's not 7/8" in diameter. It's between 1/2" and 5/8" so it's at least 1/4" too small. Should I go ahead and order it anyway and hope for the best? Thanks again....

Lebowski,

I have found MAC"s to be a very reputable place with excellent tech help.  I would call them and ask them what is up?

They are very specific that this is Edsel specific but 7/8" is VERY big.  I would hazard a quess that the size is a missprint, but they will know for sure.

Good luck

Dwight

I'll give them a call tomorrow. Someone mentioned taking the old one apart and fixing it. I don't see any way to disassemble it unless there's some kind of a trick to it so I guess I'll just order a new one. Thanks....

I have had pretty good luck with WD40 on old switches.

Apply liberally and snap it in and out a bunch and it may come back to life.

I tried taking it apart last night like someone suggested and let's just say it's in the trash can now. I called Mac's this morning and ordered two new ones so hopefully they'll work. I'll post the results here next week after they arrive....

Guest AlCapone

I have had pretty good luck with WD40 on old switches.

Apply liberally and snap it in and out a bunch and it may come back to life.

That makes at least two of us. What do you have to lose? Wayne