Studebaker Questions

I'm doing a museum exhibit on Studebakers and haven't been able to find any information on a few things related to Studebakers and was hoping that you might be able to help. <P>What did Studebaker manufacture other than wagons and automobiles and wheelbarrows? Do you have any information on the Studebaker brothers unique personalities? Why was Studebaker in business so much longer than a lot of auto manufacturers of the same era? What are some television programs, movies, songs, or other popular culture venues that are related to Studebaker (i.e. the muppet movie stude)?<P>If you know where I could find any of this information, I would greatly appreciate ANY help you could offer me. <P>Thanks!<BR>Stephanie -- nopungirl@yahoo.com

I'm not going to try to answer all of your questions, but I will address a couple. <P>First of all get the book "The Studebaker Century" by Asa Hall and Richard Langworth. Not only will it give you a very readable history of the company and the Studebaker family, but it is chocked full of photographs. A good library could help, or, depending on your location, a local ASC member might lend it to you.<P>The wheelbarrows actually preceeded the growth of the vehicle company. JM Studebaker went to California to make his fortune (didn't we all?) and was so successful with his wheelbarrows for the gold miners that he was able to underwrite the other brothers in their efforts to get the vehicle business off the ground. <P>Studebaker wagons (and later cars/trucks) were known for durability. I believe that Abraham Lincoln used a Studebaker wagon for his innaguration; they were in great demand by the North and often captured and re-used by the South during the Civil war. Ditto for the First World War and the Second, too. For a time, Studebaker manufactured electric cars, and, despite his extremely close personal and business relationship with Henry Ford, Thomas Edison purchased the second electric car off the Studebaker line.<P>Their engineering was innovative and the quality never was sacrificed. They were popularly priced vehicles, but didn't try to be cheapest. Their automobiles filled a slot below status cars like Rolls, Packard and a couple of others, but well above mass builders like Ford. BUT, for the price they were charging they had to deliver quality and accoutrements. <P>Studebaker tried to put just a little bit more into their cars and suceeded in being a little bit ahead without out-pacing the buying market. As a result, although not top of the pile in sales or volume, the Studebaker company continued in business with their advanced styling and engineering. <P> ---------------------<P>Where is your museum exhibit planned and when? Perhaps a couple of Studebaker owners might be able to help you out with displays or artifacts.<P>Neil M

• 6 months later...

they also made pocket watches, i believe after world war 1. they had extra cash, and purchased the south bend watch co. some watches were branded studebaker, others were south bend.

they also made pocket watches, i believe after world war 1. they had extra cash, and purchased the south bend watch co. some watches were branded studebaker, others were south bend.