Best source for seat upholstery for 64

64Rivvy

What is the best source for replacement front and rear seat upholstery for my 64?  I've gotten leather and vinyl samples from Clark's Corvair and see that OPGI also sells them as well.  I was planning to get the leather from Clark's, but oddly the vinyl actually seems nicer and softer, though I suppose it's hard to tell from such small samples.  

I also like that the ones from OPGI already have the buttons fastened and I don't have to spend more time doing that.  

Just hoping someone has some firsthand experience with different sources and can steer me in the right direction.  I already have the replacement foam and need to start re-upholstering soon so they will be ready to put in after the new carpet.  

Thanks.

I used Clarks stuff for my entire interior.  I had to hand cut my own foam (was $150) versus buying them already.   I did not put buttons back on, I like the look alot better, but thats my preference.  The buttons arent hard, the are like a cotter pin, they poke through and bend the tabs over, so not much work.  They arent sewn in like I thought they would be.

You can see the entire process for the interior here

http://www.teamalini.com/interior.php

http://www.teamalini.com/interior2.php

Having only experience with Clark's I find their product very well crafted with great materials; almost too good. I had mine installed by a local trimmer who told me the material Clark's uses is thicker and less pliable than what he uses, which he blamed for the lack of comfort (stiffness) in the seats. Not totally convinced of this I took my seats to another experienced trimmer who, at first, thought the stiffness to be from too firm foam. But after taking them apart he confirmed it to be due to the 'quality' of Clarks materials.

Note: these are '64 fabrics in '65 deluxe seats.

post-134775-0-88656300-1449163508_thumb.                   post-134775-0-72262600-1449163547_thumb.

Steve

Edited by slosteve (see edit history)

Very nice!

I thought seriously about putting cloth seats in my '64 but when I found out that only the square inserts were cloth and the rest of the seating surfaces were vinyl, I opted out.  Sure wish that the '64 seats were full fabric from side to side.

Ed

Clarks will use your choice of materials in your choice of styles.  As long as the color you want is available in the material that you want, they can stitch up what you want.  The only caveat is that they are yours!!!  No returns, etc.  I recently asked them if they could stitch up some seats for my '64, in the '63 color of sandalwood. "No problem" was their reply. (Minor differences between the seat patterns between '63 and '64.) 

Ed

Is that picture of the 65' delux seats in fawn? I've got a 64' with fawn interior that is meant to have cloth inserts but I was under the impression based on other threads that the cloth option is not available for Fawn interior as there is no stock. That may be an old picture but I'm hopeful that maybe it's available.... 

Edited by Mozzie (see edit history)

Is that picture of the 65' delux seats in fawn? I've got a 64' with fawn interior that is meant to have cloth inserts but I was under the impression based on other threads that the cloth option is not available for Fawn interior as there is no stock. That may be an old picture but I'm hopeful that maybe it's available.... 

Check with Clarks for availability.   FYI, the fawn for '64 is a different pattern than the fawn for '65.t

• Like 1

I spent ALOT of time with Clark's, probably 10 yrs. ago now, in getting them to use a NEW source for the foam padding. An original supplier to GM, Ford & Chrysler from Wa. state.  The correct listing wire, amoung other things. One of the reason's Clark's has the interior products that they do. Clark had a '64 Riv. & was surprised that the Riv. had materials similar to the Corvair. That's how Clark's got started making stuff for our Rivs. Maybe not the least cost of $$$$, but the quality is there. The package shelfs that they make today are made from the pattern I sent which was a Proto-type that was made in Germany & had a tag on it with the date of, I think it was 2/62. From the 3 pre-production pieces they made none of them fit correctly to the curve of the rear window. So I actually cut the COMPLETE metal shevling on the rear deck to send it to them. They finally got it as close to correct as possible.  I received this from Bill Mitchell himself. I don't know if he owned a summer home in the town I worked or if he visited friend's there every year. Anyway, he bought it in one summer as he always saw my Riv. parked out front of the shop I worked at & thought I may be able to use it someday. To bad, in the real early 70's, I really didn't know who Bill Micthell was at the time. Unfortunately my loss.

Tom T.

• Like 1