New TV Show! This Saturday Night! Don't Miss!

Steve Moskowitz

Hoo boy, sorry if I ruffled some feathers (and when I grew up, being a geek had to do with chickens). Also guess you missed that I prefer a car that is enjoyable to one that is stock (and all of mine have Hands Free Phone capability now.

And yes, I realize that the AACA allows a "driver" class (as long as 25 years old - three of mine qualify). Also understand why some insist on stock (and the 14x6 trim ringless wheels for my Judge are in big baggies in the garage while I drive on same decade 15x8s shod with modern rubber).

I do think you have done a great job with the show and it is a lot closer to what the AACA is about than many seem to insist. Also think that over the years you will find that most of my posts have been on how to fix things and not "general discusson".

I watched the show for the first time last night, and, despite the lack of false drama, big-tatted women ;) , overly-hyped vehicles and guys sporting biker costumes, I liked it.  I didn't notice the previously reported problems with the music.  I have noticed in the past, and with other shows, that if I choose to focus on music, the music itself tends to dominate and I mentally move the video to the background.  That may just be me :D .  There were moments in the show that when a point had been made or a scene concluded, the music volume was quickly amped up, but just as quickly tamped back down. 

The only problem I had with the show, and it's a minor one, is that when text (subtitles?) was shown at the bottom of the screen, it was removed just a bit too quickly for my taste.  It may just be me and that I'm a bit 'slow'; however, whenever I try to split my concentration between video and text shown or scrolled across a screen, my reading comprehension rate seems to take a hit.  So, maybe a second or two longer for keeping text on the screen would be in order.

With that all said, I enjoyed the show very much and wish it many more seasons.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I don't quite understand the complaints about the music.  I've watched all the episodes, and listened to the comments, and never noticed over powering music.  Maybe a function of stereo TV and surround sound?

Interesting....

Stopping the music while Tom talks is a courtesy to Tom or anyone else talking. Keeping music going while someone is talking is a insult. It's just bad manners. Watch the you tube video I posted to see how the two can work together in a pleasing manner.

Getting to appraisals.

I've always thought that to give a decent appraisal of a car meant going over the body and paint and chrome, getting the car on the lift to check for rust, checking the suspension, checking for oil, fuel, brake fluid leaks. Pulling the wheels and looking at the brakes, tire condition and under hood checks like belts and hoses coolant condition, engine compression check, checking for smoke. Inside a complete function of radio, heater, A/C function interior condition. And road test evaluation. I'm sure I missed some like lights but in order to appraise one must investigate first.

If you don't do the above how would you know what a vehicle is worth? When I first heard of the show I thought the show would be about how to go about a appraisal on different cars.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I also did not notice the music being loud enough to bring out so many complaints. The first season is already in the can. The music can't  be changed until next season. Your complaint about the music has already been duly noted. Please give the subject a rest. 

The magic of TV is that they never show everything. Expecting a step by step analysis of everything that goes into an appraisal shown on any TV show is unreasonable.

In my opinion last night's episode was the best of the three that I have seen. It looks like every episode of the show is getting better to me. I look forward to the next episode.

I would love for those who think they have ideas for improvements to email your constructive comments to Tom at the email address that he has given previously. Continuing to trash the show online in this forum is not productive. I encourage everybody to continue watching the show and send any suggestions for improvement to Tom. 

In spite of any flaws, it sure is more interesting to me than any of the "auto restoration" shows that I seen on TV previously.

• Like 1

I also did not notice the music being loud enough to bring out so many complaints. The first season is already in the can. The music can't  be changed until next season. Your complaint about the music has already been duly noted. Please give the subject a rest. 

The magic of TV is that they never show everything. Expecting a step by step analysis of everything that goes into an appraisal shown on any TV show is unreasonable.

In my opinion last night's episode was the best of the three that I have seen. It looks like every episode of the show is getting better to me. I look forward to the next episode.

I would love for those who think they have ideas for improvements to email your constructive comments to Tom at the email address that he has given previously. Continuing to trash the show online in this forum is not productive. I encourage everybody to continue watching the show and send any suggestions for improvement to Tom. 

In spite of any flaws, it sure is more interesting to me than any of the "auto restoration" shows that I seen on TV previously.

Don't be so dismissive of peoples opinions (like your complaint is duly noted. That's rude, what if I said that about something you have said?

Forum;a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. If you don't want this you shouldn't have a forum or the topic should have never been brought to the forum. If you didn't want peoples honest opinions The show could have just been announced.

I, like others are not trying to trash the show. We NEED a show that tells OUR side of the collector car hobby. It was my intent to point out what my perceptions were and how to constructively fix what I think should be done, and to ask questions like what or how we look at the appraisal process to arrive at a price on things. Tom knows we are here, he see's the forum, he doesn't need a personal e mail. Same with Steve.

Please re-read Tom's previous posts. It is clear that the first season's production was totally finished before the first show aired. Continuing to rant in post after post about the music is more annoying than the music was/is.

• Like 1

Please re-read Tom's previous posts. It is clear that the first season's production was totally finished before the first show aired. Continuing to rant in post after post about the music is more annoying than the music was/is.

There you go with personal attacks. I thought you weren't supposed to do that. It's one of the rules isn't it?

Guest AlCapone

There you go with personal attacks. I thought you weren't supposed to do that. It's one of the rules isn't it?

I totally agree with Helfen. This attack was uncalled for. There has been far too much intervention by moderators, staff,super moderators and 18 by the Executive director himself that people are scared to respond. They obviously are attempting to steer this post. The purpose of the discussion has been usurped. This is not just one persons opinion. Wayne

P.s. Please don't erase this posting because I agree with Helfen.

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Attempting to get the discussion back onto the original topic is not intended in any way to be any sort of personal attack. Repeating the same complaint is unnecessary after it was already addressed by Tom.

If you read this thread from beginning to end, you will see that Steve started it to alert the members about a new show that his helping showcase AACA after many years of AACA trying to help get something like this started. A few people seem to simply want to harp on what they perceive as negative issues about it. Tom has asked for feedback, he has told us all that the first season is already produced. He has already acknowledged the complaints about the music. Repeatedly complaining about something that he has already said is being addressed is simply unreasonable. 

To complain about moderators posting in a thread is nuts. The moderators are all volunteers who are active in AACA, except for Steve who is the paid Executive Director of AACA. All of the moderators are passionate supporters of AACA. If not, they would not spend their time supporting AACA.  Just because we are volunteers for AACA does not mean that we give up the right to have personal opinions on a subject.

This discussion is supposed to be about alerting the membership to the existance of a TV show that helps showcase AACA to potential members. It is not supposed to be a place for a few people to express negative comments repeatedly. Hopefully we can get this discussion back on the original topic.

Wayne, too much intervention?  First of all I started this post on behalf of AACA.  It was not meant to be a discussion but an information post but has turned out to be a typical rant and rave.  If people have comments about the show they should go to Tom as I am not directly involved with the show, just helping out.  Tom is not able to be on the forums a lot as he is still a working guy.

It is part of my job as well as part of my passion to see AACA and its members on major television. This IS an AACA site the last time I check and it is one we pay for, provide to other clubs for free and our AACA members share a ton of the moderation time. Matt's statement is correct, he is a dues paying member and a super hard working person on the club's behalf and he has a right to his opinion. I have a right to mine as well plus I have inside information about the show. So, the moderators and yours truly have every right to post period.  I hope this is my last response on this subject.

Like the show or don't...that is your right.  Don't like the music, I don't even notice music is being played so we all react differently. There is one unmistakable fact going on her  and that is Tom Cox decided to do something about the lack of a antique car show on TV AND DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  It may not be the final product you want or I want but at least from our perspective we are getting important attention paid to AACA and our hobby.  I thought Saturday night's episode was great and I only wish they could have spent an hour at Keith's as each car has a great story.

I DVR'd the show Saturday since I was a Sea World for my Birthday, but watched it last night. LIked it much better than the first one, but still see no problem with it. No one is shouting at each other or butchering classic cars and was a great show. I'll keep watching as for me any show that lets me see the era cars that I love is OK with me.

This thread should vividly illustrate the difficulties of getting this type of show on the air and then keeping an audience happy. I think many of the negative comments were seen as an opportunity by the poster to complain to someone who actually had input to the show and who might listen to their complaints. Yes, some of the complaints are repetitive, but I'd hardly call this thread a "typical" rant and rave. Check out any post on using silicon brake fluid if you really want to see ranting and raving and vitriol spewing. I understand it's frustrating to have your "baby," something you've dreamed about that you felt the hobby would embrace with open arms, criticized, but with an open forum like this, you have to expect some grumpy guys are going to chime in.

Uh-oh, now I'm going to hear from all the grumpy old guys on the forum.

Guest AlCapone

Steve First and foremost your dedication to your position and the organization are and never were questioned. You are without a doubt passionate to support both to the best of your ability. For this you are to be commended! If as Mr. Hinson stated you were only posting to alert members of the show and were not looking for critique, you should have so stated this in your first post!

In conclusion you can not allow a moderator to reprimand and admonish people publicly for trying to help. To do so can become a cancer within the site. although he is a stranger to me, I find Mr. Helfen a knowledgable and intelligent individual. His comments in my opinion were reasonable and without malice.

I wish you much success in this venture and I will continue to support the show and the organization.

Kind regards,Wayne

Think all of the comments have been useful even if we all perceive the elephant differently.

Some commented on the music and I wonder if that is a product more of their television and hearing. OTOH shows need to consider such. I am hearing impaired and spend A Lot on being able to hear/understand speech on the TV. My Sennhausers are biased for speech so I hear the music quietly in the background only. Production studios also have quality equipment. Many TVs have a 3x5" speaker that is jumbled 10 feet away. A good production company needs to consider this.

Also when guests are present & I am on hearing aids, it is through a Yamaha amp and a Bose speaker system. Point I am making is that complaiing about music without describing the audio system is like complaining about a tailpipe sound without describing the exhaust system.

Meanwhile I think many of us appreciate the show we are also a little frustrated at being "after the fact" & not notified until the first season was already in the can.

Bottom line: the forum with all of its warts is a chance for people living far apart to express their feelings. Some have had more practice than others but all opinions are valuable. If the thread had not been started as an announcement, it would have started regardless.

The show also has to cater to the sans coulottes and not people who know something about the subject, that is who buy the products that are advertised (and the number of repeats has me concerned about the funding but that is another issue). It is an opportunity to occasionally put up the letters AACA even if there seems to be a prohibition to saying which library or organization is involved.

Anything can be improved. Hopefully there will be a "next season". I just want it to be all that it can be.

BTW I prefer the forum as a means to shape and tune ideas. An e-mail does not do that.

All good points and yes some of us are very passionate about the show as we (they) have a bunch of skin in the game.  I think many of you would be pretty amazed at the costs, the process of getting a show on TV and the demands made by all the networks including PBS and the like.  I sure have had my eyes opened.  In any case, comments about the show have been read by those that need to along with a lot of comments elsewhere and the producer and his team hopefully will get a chance to take them into account for shows in the future.  In any case the show has 5 more episodes to run with some more great stories.  I hope some of you enjoyed "meeting" Keith Miller who is a prince of a person and a real credit to hobby (and AACA).

I personally think the stories are better than reality TV if we expose the market to the amazing stories behind the men and the machines!  Can you imagine stories about Olds, Durant, DeLorean, Iacocca and 100's more.  The entire history of how the car has helped make America great has not been told in depth.  Bugs me but we will keep trying to find someone who might want to do a documentary some day...Ken Burns are you listening!

I did not notice this comment from Steve until today but I wholeheartedly agree.  My favorite single documentary covering broad areas of automotive history is "Driving Passion" from TBS(!?!) circa 1995.  Anyone interested in a well done commercial documentary should search YouTube for this one and watch in it's entirety (it is on YouTube in at least ten parts).  It was broadcast in two 2 hour episodes, very watchable for all interest levels, about automotive culture in the U.S.  Not perfect but extremely well done and using interviews with REALLY good sources including Beverly Rae Kimes, David Lewis, Chuck Jordan, Dave Holls, Frank Hershey, Lee Iacocca, Yutaka Katayama and many others.  Everyone should take a look at this one, Todd C

I did not notice this comment from Steve until today but I wholeheartedly agree.  My favorite single documentary covering broad areas of automotive history is "Driving Passion" from TBS(!?!) circa 1995.  Anyone interested in a well done commercial documentary should search YouTube for this one and watch in it's entirety (it is on YouTube in at least ten parts).  It was broadcast in two 2 hour episodes, very watchable for all interest levels, about automotive culture in the U.S.  Not perfect but extremely well done and using interviews with REALLY good sources including Beverly Rae Kimes, David Lewis, Chuck Jordan, Dave Holls, Frank Hershey, Lee Iacocca, Yutaka Katayama and many others.  Everyone should take a look at this one, Todd C

Hey Todd,

Thanks for that link I'm already up to # 12.....and very addictive.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Hey Don, actually I was inspired to watch it again myself today after several years.  Don't you find it refreshing to have such great interviews rather than a reality "personality" like the "Fast & Loud" idiot or the like?  You know, the topic is Henry Ford and you get David Lewis?  Full Classics and you get Dave Holls, GM in the 1950s and you get Chuck Jordan?  Ford in the 1960s and you get Lee Iacocca himself?  I could go on, VERY enjoyable, Todd C

Glad you are enjoying it Don, keep going and you will see a great section with Mr. Katayama himself saying a few words

Yes, I finished it! I got to see my old boss, and fellow co-workers!, plus a old friend that I would have never imagined would be in the film who was the guy that chromed my bumpers for my 62 Catalina! Amazing!

Thanks again!

FYI, I'm sad to say Mr. Katayama passed away February 19 of this year as a forever young man in spirit to those that knew him at the age 107.

I watched the first two shows, and will continue to watch.  I wasn't sure at first if the appraisals were for real or just to appease the title of the show.  My biggest complaint is the announcer - I felt like I was a kid again watching a Walt Disney show about baby bears running around in the woods!!  Strange what memories pop up from sounds or smells....

New show tonight.  The John Moir A-Z Collection and a pedal car story.  Please tune in!  Oh,and the Hershey episode for CCC is on the 29th now at 10PM Eastern time.  Sorry for the bad info.  Show is about some very cool big neon signs Wayne found, his selling of a car at the auction, buying a Nash station wagon and some footage of the show.

Rather than basing their info on hearsay and what they've read on the Internet, the show actually has a librarian in its cast, something for which I am very grateful.

Even though I haven't been able to watch the show (tried the link given to the "on demand" episodes, but couldn't access it, probably b/c I don't have that service ... & can't afford it, at least not yet), I agree that it's refreshing to have a librarian of sorts on the show to make sure the information is factual.

John, I appreciate you looking out for me but, as Tom (TG) pointed out, it's cool to be a "geek" these days. I've been called much worse! :-). Call me whatever you want but I do know that I am lucky to be part of a great team spreading the word about the old car hobby to an international audience.

Definitely lucky, Chris!  Talk about an awesome opportunity, in more ways than 1.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic  (awaiting new owner)
"He came to town on a cold dark night" __ Collin Raye __ 'What If Jesus Came Back Like That?'

This is the second time that I've had the opportunity to watch this show.  The first time was last Saturday (12/12/2015), and I enjoyed it.  There are apparently two segments to the show of 30 minutes each, for a total time slot of 60 minutes.  The first segment tonight was fine, but the second segment was one that was aired only a week ago!  A RE-RUN that's only a week old?!!   What's up with that?  This was a waste of time.

Disappointed I am,

Grog

The first week they showed two new episodes, both weeks since, they have had one new episode followed up by a repeat of one of the previous week's episodes. I don't know why the network chose to air it like that but I simply watch the new episode at 8 o'clock and then change the channel to something else I have not seen. I thought this week's new episode was good but I think last week's episode was still the best one yet.

I watched the first show and thought future episodes would improve and be better. I programmed my VCR to record the series. After watching the following two, I decided not to continue. I think the subjects were interesting, but the personalities and their too light comments left me disappointed. I would rather watch re-runs of "What's My Car Worth" with Keith Martin and Donald Osborne.  They offer more indepth comments on the subject vehicles.

(o{}o)

I watched the first show and thought future episodes would improve and be better. I programmed my VCR to record the series. After watching the following two, I decided not to continue. I think the subjects were interesting, but the personalities and their too light comments left me disappointed. I would rather watch re-runs of "What's My Car Worth" with Keith Martin and Donald Osborne.  They offer more indepth comments on the subject vehicles.

(o{}o)

That's fine but remember as I said in a earlier post that Martin and Osborne do not know their history of cars very well, at least when it comes to Pontiac history and specifications are concerned. So I wonder because they can't get the Pontiac facts correct that their comment on another brand that I'm not that familiar with that I can trust what they say is true. 

That is the problem, we are fanatics with information that even "the largest library" may not have. The other issue (and I have seen this in other fields) the media is driven to be authoritative. "I think" is not acceptable but they do not have access to a reference library while filming (& doubt that there is a PA who even knows how to google the right question).

We are at am interesting point in history where everything is available if you know how to find it (even things not supposed to be found). For me "anytime/anywhere" access started around 1985 (though have had digital access since 1967, was only to designated places/people then) difference was to reach U of Hamborg I had to route e-mail through Columbia (what the % was for). Though wasn't until this millenia that I started carrying whole factory service and parts manuals on my telephone. Do prefer a real keyboard and big monitor though.

So guess my expectation is too hgh. Still I find Velocity to be the most entertaining channel there is and set my DVR to default there. Do think it would be fun to create an hour long show on Fuel Injection and my speaker stands.

So guess my expectation is too hgh. Still I find Velocity to be the most entertaining channel there is and set my DVR to default there. Do think it would be fun to create an hour long show on Fuel Injection and my speaker stands.

I would love to see just a show concerning the early Corvette's injection breakdown. I have spent enough money on mine to also promote such a show.  :rolleyes:

PS, Santa hasn't gotten to Virginia yet!!!!  :)

Fuel injection was first mentioned in a patent issued in May, 1890, two years before Rudolf Diesel, Injection in aircraft in 1902 and by Alfa Romeo in 1940. The Hilborn injection was used in racers (didn't idle well though) in the late '40s. Bosch had a racing unit by 1954 so in 1956 when Rochester (mechanical) and Bendix (eletronic) were announced they were well known.

The big difference was that the Rochester was a constant flow system that varied pressure to the nozzles while the Bendix used puse width modulation (PWM also used in things like solar energy because the controllers are cheap), the basis for modern automotive systems.

The next big thing coming is really also very old in diesels: direct injection coupled with boost. Today production engines are developing 125 hp/liter on 87 PON.

So in an hour program, the Bendix/Rochester competition would fit between commercials. Even with the special ones used in the Grand Sports, Dr. Dick Thompsons, and my SBCs.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

What channel is Chasing Classic Cars on?  I've forgotten. I'd be interested in seeing the show filmed at Hershey. I was in the museum on Friday afternoon Hershey week when they were filming with Wayne. I might even be in the back ground as I walked by when they were filming in the "Drive-in" exhibit.