Changing to a newer rear end

Okay, info needed -- car is a 42  Ford Fordor 6cylinder.  I just ripped the second rear end out of it (pinion and ring gear are missing teeth now) . Are these rear ends inherently weak and takes little abuse to destroy them,, I was taking off from a dead stop a little hard but not what i thought should have destroyed the rear end?? Question is, how difficult is is to install a newer rear end that will be easier to locate amd find parts for? AND what rear end is easiest to install?

Depends what you call "newer"    Anything up to 1948 Ford or Mercury will fit your car. 

The crown wheel and pinion on these cars are pretty robust and you seldom, if ever,  hear of one being destroyed however they will break axles if you dump the clutch at revs on bitumen.

You can fit an 8 or 9 inch later model Ford diff under one but entales a lot of work as the original diff has a torque tube drive shaft and also transverse spring.

All these things have to be changed and/or modified so it is not just a matter of just swapping diffs. 

Some of the early Mustangs have the right width diffs under them while most of the others have to be narrowed but they, like all the other late model Fords also have a different bolt pattern on the wheels so you will also have different wheels front to rear.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

I kinda thought this was where that question would lead. I know I can fit newer brakes on this axle with little effort, but I wasn't sure how hard it would be to go tp a newer style rear end and get away from the banjo. while I have never revved it and dumped the clutch I have accelerated hard from a standing stop a few times. I just have never broken 2 rear end this way with all the abuse I gave several cars in my teens. I think this time I will take it to a shop and have all new bearing gears etc put in and get away from 70+ year old metal and wear.