Paint removal question?

Can anyone shed some light on a question I have. I am helping someone with a 1929 Studebaker President. The car had a "who done it" special enamel paint job thrown on what appears to be a relatively decent original factory lacquer paint job. Wet sanding the enamel off the old lacquer with 1500 grit sand paper is proving to be tedious as well as occasionally cutting too much through some already thin spots in the old lacquer. We would really like to expose the old original lacquer paint scheme, then do minor touch up to it from there, if we could only get rid off the top layer of enamel paint. Does anyone know of any enamel paint remover, other chemicals, or process that will take off the enamel paint but not the original lacquer underneath? Please post any advice or information you have.<P>Thanks!!

Guess what- there ain't no such product. I have painted a number of cars.You will have to either zip strip(paint remover)not recom, sand blast to bare metal, or DA (sand down with air grinder)I would start over with base coat, clear coat after putting down a self etching primer and then a urethane primer. This is very expensive.(and hazardous)Painting is getting very tough with the environmental laws. Enamel was used because it is a very cheap one coat(baked in an oven) it produces an inferior finish because it cannot be rubbed out steve