64' Rivera Floor Braces

2manyhobbies

That's funny about the gas and vacation.  I needed a good laugh today.  Bad day at work always needs a car joke to get thing back in order.  Thanks for that. 

Seriously:

One thing I would do if you have not already is coat all pieces your doing  (coated when you receive them or not) coat them in POR 15.  Especially on the inside of the floor braces.  They will last forever if you do.  A quart will do all the inside and outside of the floors, braces and rockers.  Well worth the $90 a quart will cost you and the 2 hours to spray it on.  .Reduce to 2/1.  See can instruction for details.  

Also 18 is a little thin for me.  But that's mostly due to my skills with thin metal.  I have seen others that had no problem with 17 and 18 gauge just like Jeff said. Your welds look good also so you probably can pull it off.  

Jeff is probably a better welder than I am also.

I am OK but get a little warp if I use under 17 gauge sometimes so I stick with 16 mostly and grind it back.  

When finished you could not tell I did anything at all.  

I am pretty picky. 

Stephen

i am most definitely not a better welder. I am however a hell of a grinder. The only welding experience i had prior to this was welding boat trailers, which seems pretty damn easy in comparison to welding sheet metal. Blowing holes through material and finding rust you didn't know existed via the welder makes for slow going. I thought i could get away with just a grinder, a file, and sandpaper when i started. I have since picked up an angle die grinder(which i use the crap out of), carbine burrs for hard to reach corners, an air file/sander, and a couple of other tools to fix my welds.

The places i ran into the most trouble were surfaces that looked ok on the front, but had rust on the backside that i could not get to. I found this out by trying to weld to them and the metal running away faster than i was putting it in. Another problem area for me is overhead sheet metal welding. Sometimes i can get the settings dialed in and get the timing right, other times i am blowing through or making a pile. A rotisserie and going body off would have solved that problem, but i'll get better. Nothing that can't be fixed with a grinder and re-welding for the most part, it just slows me way down.

I never considered the reason to use heavier metal is to help control distortion, makes a lot of sense.  I have some 16ga so I may just start using that for the patch panels and see how it goes.  I have not really had to assess how much distortion I get from welding yet, doing the floor braces is going to be a different game than welding on say the fender.  When I get to that point we can all re-assess my welding ability as I am sure I will be doing too! 

I have not done any "finish" body work in ~20 years when I worked on a 69' ElCamino - that body was in excellent condition and only required dent repair.

As soon as I finish the floors I am going to move onto the Hood / Fenders, pull the engine and transmission and get some work that I can do in the shop for these cold winter days.  The fenders have a couple rust spots behind the wheels and the inner fenders have a couple spots that need to be patched.  The engine needs to be rebuilt - that is an interesting story in itself!  

Brad

Good luck this winter for sure to both of you.  The best welders do it all the time.  We don't but for the most part the work we are doing is good and we all will be pleased when finished for sure.

The beautiful lines in these cars and the distinctive look is what makes what we are doing worth it.  

Keep me posted on your guys projects.  

Can't wait to see the final pics of your cars.  

I will do the same.

Stephen