Gas Mileage

I'm in the process of restoring a 1929 Commander 8 FD Victoria. Anyone know what kind of mileage I can expect. Also out of curiosity, what is the top speed for this car. Thanks, Jairo

Jario,<BR>Your gas mileage and top speed will depend greatly upon your rear end ratio. More than likely you will probably have a 4.3 gear ratio, this can be found on a metal tag between two of the differential bolts. With the 4.3, you can expect to cruise at about 45 mph, but anymore would be pushing it. Ideally, you'd want to get your gear ratio at about 3.8 or under if you want to be able to go faster. You can expect your mileage to be in the 11-13 mpg range. My car is a 1929 President with a 3.4 ratio and I get 11 mpg, and am able to sustain a constant 55-65 mph down the freeway. Of course, with a 135" wheelbase, my car is a lot heavier than most, which lowers the mileage. You may want to look into converting or changing the rear end gears. Kevin Wise (See the feature restoration page) has found that he can use an early 1928 Commander rear end (3.3) in his 1929 Dictator, he will be able to do 55 mph easliy with that rear end. If anyone else has an opinion or experience, feel free to further comment.

If you are concerned with milage I would agree with the Webmaster. But it is possible to install an overdrive in your car and not change the rear gears. Granted it is a lot of work, machining and rebuilding most everything under neath but you maybe happier with that. But remember its not stock anymore. Good luck<BR>Rick

I agree with Rick, this is an option, but a lot of members already know my position on this. Although I believe it is a personal choice, and I make no judgements or condemnations on anyone, my personal feelings on the antique cars are this, keep them as original as possible, improving where you can on performance with modern technology without compromising the looks of originality. As an example, if you can replace the internal guts of a water pump with a sealed bearing and stainless steel shaft leaving the exterior, water packing nut etc. looking stock and original; replacing babbit bearings with inserts; placing an electronic ignition inside your existing stock distributor cap, eliminating the need for points etc. Replacing rear end gears with a high speed set. Anything that improves your car I am all for, as long as the looks of the originality are not compromised. I think this is where I draw the line. When you stick a modern style HCI under the hood so when you lift the hood to show everyone your engine, they can see the HCI, when you retrofit a modern transmission in the car etc. I think you devalue both the looks of the originality and value of the car. Somehwere the line between Original vs. modified has to be drawn. For me personally I draw the line when the modification, upgrade or improvement can be seen and noticed by another hobbyist, I go with the philosophy that if they can point it out and see the alteration, then the change should not have been done. I personally would rather spend the time and energy to place a different rear end gear ratio in a car than throw a modern tranny in it. Well, thats my opinion, but ultimately its a matter of personal choice and each owner is the one that must make that decision and be happy with it.