What car did you take your drivers test in?

Vila

I took my test on a snowy day in November in Chicago 1950, on my 15th birthday, in my dads bran new 1951 Cadillac. When I got back from the driving test my dad asked how did he do?

The examiner said I knew he must know how to drive or you would have been crazy to let a kid take the test in snow in a new Cadillac in Chicago. You don't forget times like that. RHL

Guest FreFord

My parents' car, a 1956 Ford Ranch Wagon, 6 cylinder, 3 speed. It was 1959. Took and passed the test on my 16th birthday which the guy from the state didn't much like. So he made me parallel park on a hill.

Well I hate to say this but when I got my license their was no driver test. you just went up and applied

and they gave you a drivers license.<KANMAN>

• 7 months later...

1939 Packard 110 Touring Sedan in February 1956. I remember it had snowed for my 16th birthday and the test was delayed a couple of days. I was not happy about this. Not really a problem since I had been driving for a couple of years before.

(o[]o)

Mark II Cortina, probably 1967 model. The hill start was on the only hill in Hastings: a railway crossing! My motorcycle test was on a 1975 Honda XL175. The cop wanted to get gas for his bike (big BMW) so we went to the gas station and back and I waited for him at the gas station.

My mother did hers in a 1925 Marquette. The brakes were grabbing so she didn't stop for a pedestrian crossing when someone was on it or nearly so. The tester commented and she told him he would be through the windscreen if she had stopped. She got her license. This was probably during WW II.

I got my drivers permit the day I turned 15. There was a mandatory 1 week period between getting the permit and taking the drivers test. I took the test in a  57 Plymouth  on the city streets of St Paul Minnesota. 

My first car a 49 Plymouth came a week or so later.  Dad was a Chrysler Plymouth salesman.  Life is good!

Took my test in the parents 1964 Olds Dynamic 88.

Because we had cottages near a small town was able to take the test there vs the city thinking it would be a snap. When I parked with the instructor, I see him looking at the clip board and says, "You did OK but.... you need to slow down". Always good advise for a teen right?

The next day I started driving a 1958 Buick Limited 2dr dad had given me.:)  Life was good!

Dads 61 Plymouth Valiant.  Neat car. Might try and find another one someday.  Did my HS Drivers Ed with a school owned 58 Chevy station wagon. Six cyl with three on the tree.   Dual controls and the instructor was a maniac who loved to slam on his set of brakes whenever we screwed something up.  Ha-no seat belts in that beast either, so all the kids in back got rearranged regularly, and I have a permanent impression of a steering wheel on my stomach.

Terry

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

Mine was a '76 Nova, Base Model -- no frills other than a slush-box.

It's funny to see this thread today since it was only yesterday that I recounted my experience in getting my first DL.

My dad was a salesman, and at the time he was hawking Driver Training.  In that my folks had split several years before, he opted to give me 'Driver's Ed' instead of that new Tyco Slot Car Set I had also been wanting.

My 'teacher' took me out in the snow in an abandoned Gold Circle Shopping Center parking lot and said, 'go ahead and see what it'll do.'
So...I did!

Then came the dreaded 'Parallel Parking' part of my training.

The trainer had put marks on his mirrors so his students couldn't fail as long as they turned the wheel the other way when the flags lined up to the marks.

I never got it right and he was sure that I'd ace the driving part and fail parking.  I did almost exactly the opposite;  I nailed the parking and barely skated by on the driving.

Now, with well over 2M miles on anywhere from 2 to 18 or more wheels under my belt, I have to look back on this and laugh as I put a 53x8.5' box into a 40x9' space without causing any damage. (I hung up my CDL 5 or 6 years ago, so I don't really do this any more).

One thing is for sure though: I never texted anyone while doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fossiltin62

Took my test in a 1931 Essex RS Coupe in the spring of 1958. I still have the car, and yes, I had to use hand signals. I'd been driving it on the back roads since I was 14, so I knew what I was doing.

I think it helped that the cop was sweet on my sister...

Guest FreFord

Took my test on my 16th birthday in a '56 Ford Ranch Wagon, 6 cylinders and a 3 speed. The old cuss of an examiner made me parallel park in a hill!

Guest FreFord
Just now, FreFord said:

Took my test on my 16th birthday in a '56 Ford Ranch Wagon, 6 cylinders and a 3 speed. The old cuss of an examiner made me parallel park in a hill!

...on a hill... of course.