What car did you take your drivers test in?

Vila

Took my IHRA Drag racing license at age 14 and my street drivers test at age 16 in my F stock 1959 Pontiac Catalina, a 389 Tri-Power 4 speed hydro, a 13 second car. 

BTW, I failed that drivers test. As I was finishing up the driving portion of the test I had to stop at a four way and make a left turn to go to the DMV, unfortunately after proceeding and in the middle of the left turn a guy opposite ran his stop sign coming straight for us. I opened the throttle wide and those two end carbs went to work and I laid about 10 ft of rubber and avoided the other driver running the stop sign. The test rules say that if there is a accident or near accident the test is automatically nullified. My mom who was standing on the curb at DMV and who saw the whole thing said to the driver tester that she thought I should have passed on skill alone but that was no good. I clearly scared the guy to death. I had to come back the next day to do the retake. No, I did not have the same guy.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

1961 Morris Oxford driving school car when I was 16.  I knew the examiner.  Just before the driving test, he bought a copy of the evening edition of our local newspaper.  When I did the parallel parking part of the test, he rolled up the paper, opened the door and shoved it vertically between the car and the curb.  If the paper stayed up, I passed.  It did.

Terry

1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale DIESEL

Guest Oldengineer

Tried to pass it inmy Dad;s 1962 Olds 98, but, never could parallel park this barge. Finally passed using Dad's Plymouth Valiant.

Regards:

Oldengineer

A brand new 1961 VW Bug.  My father sent me to school with a note to excuse me in the afternoon to "accompany him on a legal matter."

After passing my driving test we went home and I borrowed Dad's 1948 Cadillac convertible and returned to school to pick up my girlfriend.

(My own car was still under construction)

I wanted to use my 1931 Dodge coupe as my driver's test vehicle, but it has no turn signals. My next choice was my Dad's 1966 Chrysler 300 hardtop. Dad said it was too big. (I did not think so) I ended up taking the test in my Dad's 1965 Plymouth Valiant 200 V8 automatic four door sedan.

Guest Lakewood90712

A 1967 AMC Ambassador with a 290 V-8. My Drivers Ed car was a baby blue '69 Oldmobile Cutlass, though. Lighter and a little more powerful. I remember opening that up getting onto the Washington Beltway being kinda fun.

Drivers education cars. Another twist. Was a really good deal. The local VW and chevy dealers loaned cars to the high school. 74 Chevy nova, and a 73 VW Beetle ( the poor clutch on that VW LOL ). It was free, you got extra credit and the teachers who volunteered for this hazardous duty got paid overtime too !

1929  Packard 633,,,7pass sedan,,,133"wb,,,My own car,,my own money

Yes I started on a hill,,and made the required 3 point turn,,

Sept 1951,,,Cheers,,Ben

I took my drivers test in 1954 in my dad's 1950 Nash Ambassador Custon sedan.   It was a large car with a fastback rear window.   It was virtually impossible to see out of the rear window while reversing.   However, that said,  it was the best I ever parallel parked in my entire live.   I couldn't believe I did it.   The rest of the test was a piece of cake.

Rog :D

1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe. Formal roof, 307, 3 spd. auto. Car was darn near mint, and far too much money for me. But it was 5-6 years old and my Grandma (who I lived with) liked it. It was far too respectable for me and I traded  for a 1970 InViolet Plymouth Duster. 340 4 speed with my brother who had a family and needed a bigger car. That happened right after I got my Ontario Drivers License

I was a freshman in college in Geneseo, NY so that's where I took my road tests.  First go-round was in a friend's 1964 Tempest.   It was one of those days when nothing goes right...The second one (which I passed) was in my father's '65 Coronet 440.  A State Trooper was the examiner.  He lit a cigarette and flicked the ashes out the vent window, told me to drive around in town for a few blocks, then told me don't drive again until I got my license in the mail.

Edited by Harold (see edit history)

My neighbor had a 55 Oldsmobile and he took me to the test  because he worked in downtown Baltimore.  I got my learners permit the day after my 16th birthday.  I took the test 15 days later which was the minimum required on a learners permit.  I had never driven the Olds but I passed the test and happily took a bus home and took my first licensed drive as soon as I got home.

In June 1964, eager and sweaty, I took dad's 1959 Dodge Regent (Canadian Plodge with the Dodge front clip and Plymouth finny rear) to get tested. You couldn't lose this car with its maroon roof and pink body - nobody else had anything like it. Push button automatic.  I don't recall a lot about the test but managed to pass it on the first go. Fins made it easy to see where the back of the car ended. I like oddball cars and I kind of wish I had it again.

I showed up in a brand new 1977 pontiac trans-am 455 w/shaker hood and all. A guy where I worked lent me the car not knowing I was going for my road test and I took it anyway. I picked up my grandfather and went for the raod test but the guy would not let me take the test in that car. We went back and got grandma's 71 Malibu and passed the test. I told the T-A guy years later where I went with his car and he still got pissed off. OH WELL! That car was FAST

1959 Oldsmobile.  It was my father's work vehicle.  The examiner made me scrape several decals off the rear window before he'd give me the test.  All I had to scrape with was the car keys.  What the examiner didn't know was that I'd lost my glasses that morning and I was wearing someone else's.  I couldn't see worth a damn, but I passed the test!

• Like 1

at 16 took it in a 77 LTD. then 2 years later went for my Chauffers license in my dad 87 Buick but the emergency brake did not work and he would not allow it. I returned home to retrieve my 63 Chevy long bed 3/4 ton pick up ( a real rust bucket ). It was a hot August day and I had a different tester the second time, I told him I showed up earlier with a car with AC but the emergency brake failed. He told me if the other tester had known what my back up plan was he would have ignored the non working ebrake!