New owner old problems

Guest Mustangp38

Guest Mustangp38

Like it says in title I have purchased a 90 model TC unfortunately it has sat for several years anyway my son wants to drive it the good news is it starts right up on spray bad news is no fuel to eng. checked the pump it's bad as is the sending unit for gauge went ahead pulled the tank omg what a mess inside anyway all this said when I was checking out the pump discovered it wasn't getting any power read a few post here about relay location but having trouble getting the wires to ohm out from tank to eng compartment relay guess I'm not sure which relay it is checked all that was described here only place wire would ohm out right was at the plug going to ecm any help from you guys would really be helpful and appreciated my 16 yr old son really wants to cruise his GF around with the top down so we are working on it together

Like it says in title I have purchased a 90 model TC unfortunately it has sat for several years anyway my son wants to drive it the good news is it starts right up on spray bad news is no fuel to eng. checked the pump it's bad as is the sending unit for gauge went ahead pulled the tank omg what a mess inside anyway all this said when I was checking out the pump discovered it wasn't getting any power read a few post here about relay location but having trouble getting the wires to ohm out from tank to eng compartment relay guess I'm not sure which relay it is checked all that was described here only place wire would ohm out right was at the plug going to ecm any help from you guys would really be helpful and appreciated my 16 yr old son really wants to cruise his GF around with the top down so we are working on it together

If you can run the engine on the spray, you should have 12 Volts to the fuel pump connector as well. Both the ignition coil and the fuel pump receive their power from the same source, the ASD relay. It is located next to the starter relay.  Checking with an ohm meter when the car is not running is not the correct way to test the circuit, though you should find continuity at one of the wire terminals at the ASD relay.

I presume that you took care of cleaning or replacing the fuel tank as well as installing a new fuel pump assembly and a new sending unit.

Guest Mustangp38

Thanks for your reply so to be clear yes it will crank and runs on spray.. With the key on no power at fuel pump plug holding off on pump and sending unit till I get power to the plug prob resolved like I said in original post wires from pump only ohm out at plug to ecm can't get continuity at any of the relays terminals loc under the hood I know don't make sense to me either wonder is it a bad ecm don't know if there is a way to check it and hate to spend $ for a new one if not needed any ideas and please don't give up on a decent mech that despises elec problems know this car will need ongoing help because of sitting up but got to get it running first.... thanks again

Thanks for your reply so to be clear yes it will crank and runs on spray.. With the key on no power at fuel pump plug holding off on pump and sending unit till I get power to the plug prob resolved like I said in original post wires from pump only ohm out at plug to ecm can't get continuity at any of the relays terminals loc under the hood I know don't make sense to me either wonder is it a bad ecm don't know if there is a way to check it and hate to spend $ for a new one if not needed any ideas and please don't give up on a decent mech that despises elec problems know this car will need ongoing help because of sitting up but got to get it running first.... thanks again

Well, you might try this;

With a helper to turn the ignition key, get under the car and connect your VOLT meter across the 2 terminals in the connector that feeds power to the fuel pump.

You with the volt meter turned on, under the car,  have the helper twist the ignition key first just to the (engine on) position.  There should be voltage reading on the meter as the key is turned on, for just a second. The voltage reading should then go to '0' while the key is still in this position.

Next with the key turned to the 'crank engine position'. You should have voltage as long as the key is held in this position.

If that is the case, all is well with the circuit to the fuel pump. If you do not get these results, report back with what you did see.

​Please be specific. You precise information is needed for anyone to analyze the problem from far away.

Guest Mustangp38

Thanks for that raining cats and dogs here all day will get on that in the morning first thing in the morning and let you know,, ok I admit I am dumb about electrical probs so I ask this after reading your post, is there some kind of circuit that is activated to keep pump on after it cranks up and the key is returned to run position??

Guest Mustangp38

Seems you were right now I just got to get some parts ordered tank ,pump ,sending unit... There is one thing I am unable to locate think it is a vent or something it's plastic and inst on top of tank over sending unit hole whatever it is I need to come up with one mine has a busted nipple (plastic),and the new tank has a hole there so any help with a part number or name for this piece would be helpful .. Thanks again together we will get this beauty back on the road just like dad always says "you can fix anything with enough money and time"

Seems you were right now I just got to get some parts ordered tank ,pump ,sending unit... There is one thing I am unable to locate think it is a vent or something it's plastic and inst on top of tank over sending unit hole whatever it is I need to come up with one mine has a busted nipple (plastic),and the new tank has a hole there so any help with a part number or name for this piece would be helpful .. Thanks again together we will get this beauty back on the road just like dad always says "you can fix anything with enough money and time"

That would be, VALVE, Rollover 4279 941 

Check with your local Chrysler dealer.

Guest Mustangp38

Thanks for the info parts should be here next Wednesday till then going to clean fuel lines replace hose and filter this Sunday me and my son will make an afternoon of it and get ready to inst tank unit will post again when I get all that done maybe I can get it running and on to the next problems I'm sure I have a few more coming with it sitting up so long.....

Guest Mustangp38

I tried finding the valve at the website you had link for ended up calling them only to find out it's a discontinued part and there wasn't one in the country according to his search of all mopar dealers going to take this one out for measurements and try to find one that will work if anyone has an aftermarket part # please let me know thanks to all for the help..

Guest Mustangp38

Ok got the parts in today and I think I have a problem with the new tank... The box inside the tank that the fuel pump sits in is made different the old tank's box had a narrow channel built in on the side to allow fuel to enter the box... The new one is just a rectangle box about an 1 1/2 high with no way for the last of the fuel to enter the box that I can see not sure it will just splash in the box.. I admit not the smartest but I do have common sense and this seems like it will be a problem anybody familiar with this I'm open for suggestions thanks again for all of the help so far

Guest Mustangp38

Ok never mind on further inspection with a bright light and mirror I found a small entrance hole where fuel will equalize in the box

Guest Mustangp38

Ok thought I would update this post got all fuel system parts installed hit the key starts up and ran surprising smooth let it run about 10min to warm everything up so I could replace all fluids just before I switch it off it started leaking water from front of engine hope it's not the pump but it's leaking in that area read in manual that pump is driven by timing chain and got to take the whole front off eng to replace.. I hope not but was wanting to know if it could be something else beside pump water leaks straight out as you put it in radiator with eng stopped!! If it is pump any advice on removal & replace shortcuts ect would be helpful thanks all for your time and help

Guest Mustangp38

Thanks for the info it was cold enough to check when I seen your post and thank god the bypass hose is the problem will get that changed maybe pump is ok thanks again ....as the saga continues I will keep updating