Packard 740 1930

How is the fan pulley held on, on the crankshaft front end? The cross-section in the owners manual is not very clear. I need to take out the bolt that goes in the front of the crank shaft and ha the cross-pin which engages the hand crank. Does it open clockwise or anti clockwise? HAs anyone mastered hand cranking? tips please. I know they used to pull up on the handle.

• 1 month later...

Each car has it's own personality but the basics of hand cranking a 6 cyl cold engine are:<BR>1. Ignition off<BR>2. Choke out full<BR>3. Throttle out a third<BR>4. Pull the engine through compression 3 times<BR>5. Choke half out<BR>6. Starting from the eight o'clock position pull the crank sharply up and over the top. The engine should start. (it never fails with my car). When hot just use less or no choke. PS don't wrap your thmb around the crack. It isn't a matter of strength, it is all technique.<BR>Happy hobbying

• 2 months later...
Guest stude8

It will take a pretty good man to crank that Packard 740 eight into life. You may have to take out a few plugs to relieve enough compression to turn it over. What happened to the electric starter?<BR>Stude8

Just as a matter of incidental interest..my '36 V-12 American La France (an 800 cubic in. over-head cam "monster")....has an attachment on its fan pulley, and a hole in the front radiator-grill..... for a CRANK !<P>Anyone have ANY questions about what I would call a guy, if I met him in a bar...that was strong enough to crank over that thing..?<P>Does " friend "...come to mind...or "yessir...anything you say..sir"..!<P>Pete Hartmann

• 1 month later...

I'm a fairly big guy, only one in the shop who could crank start a '28 Autocar we restored. Boy was I smug until I found myself in the emergency room with a badly broken right arm. Yea, I know all about keeping your thumb on the outside etc. etc. Needless to say the beast now has an electric starter.