Push button issue

torry61

So I  parked my 60 Desoto Adventurere yeaterday after a long ride & today the push buttons on my torque flight trans seem to be locked or ? I can't push any of them in or will the car start. It does roll freely so I don't think it's locked in gear.

Thanks

Torry

Can you move the park lock lever ?

There is no "Park" in a '60 DeSoto.  Do you mean the emergency brake release handle?   Through '62 is still Chrysler's old drum e-brake on the trans output.   The ebrake should have nothing to do with the pushbuttons.   And he says the car rolls freely.

Would suggest removing the cover plate of the button set and having a look inside.

There is no "Park" in a '60 DeSoto.  Do you mean the emergency brake release handle?   Through '62 is still Chrysler's old drum e-brake on the trans output.   The ebrake should have nothing to do with the pushbuttons.   And he says the car rolls freely.

Would suggest removing the cover plate of the button set and having a look inside.

I suggest the same. Those things sometimes bind up like typewriter keys.

Make sure you havnt toasted the cable on the exhaust, its unlikely to be in the trans, but to check, you can undo the bolt that holds the adjuster ring on the trans and then pull the cable (dont reef on it) and you should be able to feel/hear it click

If you need to remove the cable, there is a procedure to go through to get it out of the trans, to get it off the other end, there are 2 5/16 bolts that hold a retaining plate (part of the cable outer) to the side of the push button box and a tiny "C" clip that holds the cable inner onto the mechanism

If your going to get it out of the trans, it describes how to do it in the service manual, but I ended up taking the pan off on the first go, so I could see what I was doing and work out what they were talking about (and clean the old sludge ect out)

Mick