Interior silver color match for 63

Guest CentralIndiana

Guest CentralIndiana

Trying to find correct spray can paint (& gloss) to match 63 silver interior used on console, Etc.

Anyone know manufacture & color code of correct paint. Thanks.  

I just did a lot of the interior on my 63. It's black, but parts of the dash, ball AC vents and a few other items are silver. I searched all over the place looking for the right silver. Not too glossy, not too flat, not to much flake etc. I was looking for something with a satin finish but not too flat. None of the interior parts are very glossy but I think lots of people make the mistake of repainting with too much gloss. I tried paint from Eastwood, Year One and I ended up using rattle can Rustoleum dull aluminum #1614830. It provides just the right finish, is durable and generally easy to apply. Some of the other brands suffered from splotches, runs and other inconsistencies. Since it's available at The Home Depot or in bulk on Amazon, it's a lot cheaper than the other's I tried too. PRL

Hi,

Another one you might consider is Rustoleum Metallic Matte Silver, # 7278830. The interior headliner and trim on my 63 is silver. I used this on the headliner trim when I replaced my headliner. I also used this same paint to redo the silver areas on my grill. I was happy with the results both times. My console is silver and I think it will make a good match if I ever repaint that. I believe I just picked it up at the local hardware store or one of the big box places like Lowes. At least this gives you a couple of options. I am going to look into Pete's suggestion as well to see how they compare.

Bill

Your car is not going to be sitting side by side with other cars.  As long as the silver paint looks good with the upholstery and carpet, no one will know if it's the exact color.  Unless the two parts are side by side no one can discern minor differences in colors from one car to the next.  

I've seen cars with one repainted door.  The original and new colors weren't exact and it was noticeable.  When the two doors were separated by a chrome door edge guard, you couldn't tell any difference.  As long as you're close, no one will know that the color wasn't the factory color.  Find one color that you like that matches something else and paint everything that same color.

Ed

Guest CentralIndiana

Again thank's to all for your suggestions. By the  way. My 63 is silver/silver (leather).  

I note this because someone in the past post noted how rare this color combination is.

Darwin Falk, past President of the ROA, tech advisor, and author of many articles on the Riviera, ran a series of articles in the Riview on available options, one of which dealt solely with the '63.  In his series of articles, he has reiterated many times that Buick never kept records that showed how many cars were built with certain color combinations.  There are records of how many silver cars were produced, and how many cars came with silver leather, but nothing that shows how many silver cars with silver leather.  Rare in this case is only in the eyes of the beholder and what he's seen personally. 

Ed

Guest CentralIndiana

Riv. members; though I would send picture of my Silver 63.  The engine, tranny have been rebuilt.

And it is now in body shop for repaint. First time sending a pic. we'll see how it works.    

post-82467-0-55611600-1447361467_thumb.j