Stromberg UUR2 carburetor. Help needed

Mark Huston

Your problem might be inside the carb, the float needle valve might not be closing and allowing to much gas in, once the float bowl is full the gas has to go someplace. This happened on my Stromberg UU2 (the same basic carb as the UUR2 just an earlier version). I had to send my carb back to the carb repairman 3 times before he was able to solve the float needle valve problem. Also, the carb listed for a 1928 Stutz is a Zenith 105DC-1 1/4 carb. The Stromberg UUR2 came out about 1931. If you want some copies of original Stromberg info for the UU2 I can provide that for you. Might help you clear up some of your questions. Send me an email with your address and I will copy and forward you the information.<BR> wink.gif" border="0

Hi Mark:<P>Thanks alot for your mail. I bought the Stutz about a year ago and joined the Stutz Club. I was told that the Stutz carb was supposed to be a Zenith 105DC-1 1/4, but two of the technical advisors said it was going to be incredibly difficult to locate and that I should install a UU2 or UUR2 Stromberg, which I was able to get.<P>I would really appreciate the copies of the original Stromberg info for the UU2. My email is vmg@paniplus.com.mx<P>Thanks again for your help<P>Victor.

Hi:<BR>I just installed a Stromberg UUR2 carburetor on a 1928 Stutz and have some doubts that perhaps somebody can help me with...<P>My main problem is that the carb leaks fuel from the bottom. It has a threaded outlet (I suppose meant to install a tube to drop excess gas to the floor) but in my case, it is constantly leaking. I should probably say my car has an electric fuel pump and the carb drops gas while the pump is on. Does this mean it has a float problem or something else?<P>The other question is, what is an adjusting brass screw that it has on top of the body for? I am refering to a screw similar to the two carb adjusting screws to regulate the mix, but in the case of this third one, I don't know what it is for?<P>A friend of mine told me about an article in Skineed Knuckles which deals with this carburetor, but I have not been able to locate it.<P>Thanks for any help<P>Victor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It does sound like a float problem. My father in law has a 1971 Jag E-type, with the 3 carbs in-line. The middle carb started to leak petrol, it turns out that the floats were metal, rather than the nylon type we are used to these days. The soldered join had split and the float had filled up and sunk.

• 7 months later...

Going on with my carburator problems... Is it possible to change the side of the carburator linkages? I solved the gas float problem, but now the carb has to head forward, interfering with some things there because of the linkages, while the original faced back. I would like to turn it around but would need to change linkages from one side to the other. Is this possible? confused.gif

Would anybody have an air silencer for this carburator?

Thanks.

Victor.

Your leaking carb can be from several potential causes. 1. The fuel pump can deliver excessive pressure to the valve, which the float leverage is not sufficient to overcome. This is a common problem with some carbs, but don't know about your specific one. Cure with pressure regulator made for the purpose.2. Old carburators may have soft brass valves, that never quite seal. Modern carburators often have bonded rubber on needle to gurantee sealing.Also, have heard opinion that unleaded gas at pumps can cause corrosion of valve and thereby leakage. Use lead substitute or marvel mystery oil.

• 3 weeks later...

Odds are that the electric pump is the culprit. Design pressure on the Stromberg U series carburetors is about 3 and 1/2 to 4 pounds. If you have one which was modified for use with a vacuum tank, this pressure drops to about 1 pound.

Check the pressure at the carburetor to determine how much pressure you have.

Also check the orifice size of the fuel valve in the carburetor, it should be 0.140 inch. If the orifice size is greater, then it will need replacing.

If the pressure is too great, replace the fuel pump with a self-regulating electric pump which produces the proper pressure.

Jon.