Mark's Museum & Buick Barn

Just over ten years ago, I hired a contractor to put up a pole building attached to my home.  It is two cars wide and two cars deep.  The photos show the basic construction and two circuit radiant heat system. There is a 1000# electric jib hoist mounted above the ladder on a 4X6 post that allows me to lift engines,store parts in the loft. etc. The left side has a 4 post lift that allows me to service & store up to five cars in this shop. (But when there are five cars in there, I don't have room to work on them.)  So, I store the finished cars under cover in my Buick Barn along with my little Shaw tractor & trailers.

post-84993-0-16727400-1446772309_thumb.j

post-84993-0-37182300-1446772327_thumb.j

post-84993-0-12094700-1446772340_thumb.j

post-84993-0-06755800-1446772608_thumb.j

post-84993-0-71359800-1446772764_thumb.j

• Like 5

Lamar,

I converted an old oil burning house heater to burn used crankcase oil to heat the 40' X 60' Buick Barn.  It doesn't provide  enough heat to be comfortable during freezing weather, but it does take the chill off and keeps the cars from freezing. I am thinking of adding a blower to get more heat out of it, but it isn't a high priority for our moderate climate here in the Northwest. 

The Buick Barn also has an insulated 15' X 20' office in one corner that has a small electric heater with a thermostat & takes about an hour to get up to comfortable temperature. That's where my automobilia collection will eventually be displayed. I started on it, but I still have one more Buick to finish before I get to finishing that. The radiant heat in my home shop is regulated by the natural gas heater thermostat.  It takes a full day to make temperature changes because the floor slab is a big heat sink.  I keep it around 60 degrees for a comfortable working  temperature.  An added benefit from radiant heat is that it completely dries a wet car in about an hour.  That's important if you live in the Northwest.

• 2 weeks later...

Lamar,

The fan that just blows air around the burner is on the other side. I bypassed the original carb. and have a copper tube feeding directly into the burner. 

I use a spin on filter between a hand pump and a small elevated day tank with small ball valve between the day tank and the heater to control the flow. 

I may add a blower later with the tube inside the blower pipe to keep the copper tube cool & preventing burnt oil from clogging the tube.  

Adding more combustion air will also provide more heat if needed. 

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)