NC-car-guy

Your first Buick

So I was recently visiting family and saw this photo in my mother's house. This is Easter Sunday sophomore year of college. My mom was determined I couldn't drive an antique daily, so I spent $3500 and drove this all through college and all I ever did was put tires on it. The line in the middle is damage to the photo, not the car. What's your first buick story?

post-135766-0-35896600-1446770430_thumb.

• Like 3

Great idea for a thread Matthew, now we know why you are looking for a 4 door. :) What color is that?    I need to try and find the 1-2 pics of my 2 door c-dan.....you know what year it was.....

post-135766-0-35896600-1446770430.jpg

• Like 1

That was a maaco or scheib special paint job (no pun intended) I seem to recall the paint inside the trunk was whatever the original blue was. I think it was lighter than the exterior.

Daddy bought the Roadmaster in 1970 for $300

He drove it everyday to work and back for two years.

Then we cleaned up the interior, had it painted and replated the bumpers. 

Dad and the Roadmaster at a car show in Columbus Georgia 1976

DSCN0213.jpg

Dad in the straw hat. Proudly showing and telling about his Buick. 2010

DadatKrispyKreme_zps21fc5bdf.jpg

In 2000 we did a second restoration, repaint , replaced about 40% of the interior . Replate of the bumpers 

Dad passed away October 2011. He left the car to me. 

It's the first Buick I've owned. It's the only Buick I've owned

DSCN0205.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 4

My first old car was a 1958 Buick Limited 4-dr. hardtop. My mother had forbidden me from owning an antique car until after I graduated from college, so that's what I did six months after graduation: Bought a 1958 Limited from an old man in southeastern Kansas for $995 and drove it home to Texas (and joined the BCA, 1977). The following year, I went back to college for a Master's degree and put everything I owned in the back of the '58 Limited and drove it to Georgia Tech. By the time I got my Master's degree three years later, I had already bought, driven daily, and sold half a dozen antique cars--mostly Buicks, one Studebaker, one Oldsmobile; a wonderful 1961 Skylark; a very rare 1963 stick shift LeSabre two-door sedan, etc., etc. ...and the disease continues to this day!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 6

It's so hard to figure which one was my first Buick. 

I like to think it was dad's 55 Special 3 speed, which I learned to drive on before I was eligible for a drivers license. But in actuality it as probably Dad's 65 Electra which he bought but I drove almost exclusively through High school and two years of college.  Then again there was the 57 Special I bought for $30.00 when in College but was forced to sell without ever putting on the road.   But in reality it was probably the 56 Roadmaster our neighbor gave to me after he decided there were no more panels he could crash without killing himself. That one I refurbished, licensed and drove for two happy years before transmission problems.  In between all these were a few other brands such that by the time I got the Roadmaster I had been through seven cars.

• Like 1

My first Buick was a 1955 Special 2 dr purchased from a family member as a second car.   That was roughly 1963, I don't think there is a single photo.   It was grey and had a dent in the drivers side fender ... a nice clean strike to probably a telephone pole.   The door opened fine.    It did run rough, a compression check reviled low compression on 3 cylinders on the same side, I pulled the head and 3 exhaust valves were so badly burnt, they were "D" shaped.   I lapped in three new valves and drove it for a couple of years.   We moved to St Louis and the license/taxes to register the car were going to be more than I paid for it, so I sold in in St Louis.     My next Buick was a 1982 Electra wagon (used)

• Like 2

My first was a black 1950 Special that I bought for $85 in 1972. I drove it around for several months with no problems except for a leaky, squeaky water pump.

• Like 2

My first Car was a 1931 Buick that I purchased when I was 14 ( I got my license then) I bought it from my Uncle and drove it for a year. I then got a 1937 Century and drove it until my Dad took it away from me ( I passed him doing over 100MPH )

He then bought a 1939 Pontiac and that was the car I had in senior year. ( it was a six cylinder , and I don't think it woud go 80MPH over a cliff )

• Like 3

I was hankering for anything mid-50s from GM when I was in high school.  I would find something for sale around town, fret over it, read up on it and beg Mom to let me buy it.  Olds, Chevy, Pontiac.  She always said no, and wisely so.  Easter Sunday of my senior year I spotted a 54 Special 2-door sedan (model 48D) for sale by an Anaheim cop.  New paint, nice chrome, unmolested and 64 thousand miles, and Mom said yes.

Drove that car through grad school, and I've been stuck ever since.

• Like 2

1950 2 door Super coupe. Bought before I had a drivers license (but drove it a bit anyway). Dark green and wish I still had it (and lots of other old Buicks I've has the pleasure of owning...).

1947 Buick Super Conv in 1958 less then 50000 miles , Black ext with red leather and tan cloth int.

Never could figure why it had power windows in the doors and cranks in the quarters.

Bill

During my freshman year in high school, I'd drive dad's '50 Special if/when I was allowed to drive.  When I turned 16 my sophomore year, we got rid of the '50 and got a '55 Century four door hardtop.  I drove it when I needed a car and when it was time for college, I bought a '55 Chevy from the kid down the street.  It only lasted until I could enough money to buy a '63 Dodge that was a KS Higway Patrol car.  That one lasted a couple of years until I needed a car that was more appealing to the opposite sex.  That's when I bought my first Buick; a 1964 Wildcat, two door hardtop.  Buckets, console, the whole enchilada.  Drove it for a long time.  Brought my first born home from the hospital in it.  Fond memories.

Ed

I had a 1963  Buick Special station wagon that was a former GM company car that had almost every option on it including air conditioning.  Great car with the aluminum V8 engine except for fuel economy during the "gas crisis" in the early 70's.

Last time I saw it , it was in a junk yard about a year after I sold it with the a/c unit completely removed.  I would guess it was put into another car.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Like some others in this thread, my love affair with Buick's started long before I was allowed to drive. From the time I can remember to the time I left the nest in 1972, my father always drove a Buick. So the first car I bought after I got married was a '63 LeSabre, which didn't look like much, but it ran fine and I later traded it in on the 2nd favorite Buick I ever owned, a 1965 Electra 225.

Although I had others over the year, I never got the chance to buy my favorite one until about 5 years ago and it's the one I now own. It will probably be with me until I leave this earth and I hope it goes to someone who loves it as much as I do.

my first buick was a 1958 roadmaster 75 four door riviera hardtop, silver with a white roof, and a steel blue interior, driving that roadmaster with the dynaflow was like floating on a cloud that moved like a jet airplane.

• Like 1

Ellie - 1966 Wildcat. The tale can be found in the link in my signature. Just realized it's been 22 years.

• Like 1

It was actually my second car but between my junior and senior year (1957) the local Chevy dealer took in a '39 Buick Special business coupe on trade. I HAD to have it! Finally convinced my folks to let me buy it for a sum of $125.00. (That was 125 hours of work!!) What a ride. It was the fastest car around top end! All of the rich kids had new 58 Chevies, 57 Pontiacs and 57 T Birds and the old Buick would wax their butt's top end!! Took me three or four miles to get her wound up but then she would blow right by them. There was one other side benefit of the business coupe. My best friend and I ran around with a "gang" of 7 female classmates and we could all get in the old coupe! Lot's of fond memories with this car. Would like to own another one (a Century would be even better) but at my age doubt that it is in the cards.

Many more Buicks after this one and still have a couple and love them all!

Gary

• Like 3

Ben

I know it is but not in the cards for me at this time. Would have to buy a lottery ticket and win to pull off that purchase!

Gary

My first car to drive on the road when I was 16, a 1959 Meteor a door sedan, with a 2 speed automatic, and 223 cu in six. Not fast car!

My first Buick, a year or so later, was a 1956 Special 4 door sedan. It was quite rusty, and had terrible brakes, needed lots of work, which sadly, it didn't get. I was forced to scrap it the next year.

Then I bought a 1953 Roadmaster, that of course, needed work, but that one I got on the road, and drove it for a couple of years.

Keith

Well, my first Buick didn't make the 50s, 60s, or 70s. It was an 86 LeSabre Coupe. I was 16 and it was a 10 year old hand me down from my grandparents. I have pretty much always owned at least one Buick ever since.

My first new car was a 2000 Century that I owned for one year before falling in love with an 01 Regal GS. Finally, last year I stopped only owning them for daily use and picked up my 60 LeSabre.

Buying a new Buick at 19, I think I skewed their demographics a bit.

• Like 2