randyta

36 Plymouth Overdrive Transmission

Paul is also the one who had the adapter for that switch-- he had the set up in his 32 pa convertible and I think he is also putting one in his new car.. nice guy to work with helped him on some part for the PA and he shared parts for my convertible----Allan

Our 39 Plymouth p2 was running real fast to keep up to 50 mph. I changed the clutch and set up is very important. Changed the oil in the transmisson to Lucas oil. Did the same to the rear end.

Gears run a lot quietier and shift smoother also. Engine doesn't rev as much and we run down the highway at around 55 to 60 mph. I'm in Canada so we use kph. That is 85 to 95 kph. Have been putting a lot of mph's this summer, been working Great.

Give this a try first, it is the most cost effective way to handle the situation. Our car drives like new and keeps up as well without a lot of stress on the engine. Hope this was helpful.

Good Luck

George and Louise Johnsonpost-155476-0-54435800-1448410595_thumb.post-155476-0-06259900-1448410686_thumb.

P.S.

Our car runs so quiet, people don't even know we are behind them most times.

I am sending a picture of our car. Never being painted all original inside and out.

Thanks for all the info guys.  I think I'll just have the trans checked out and probably rebuild the clutch as long as things are apart.  The engine has been overhauled and has about 4,000 miles on it but just seems like it is not happy going over 55.

Thanks again.

Randy

I hear you and your engine ! 

Do you know what your rear end ratio is ?   4.11 or worse ?   3.55 would be ideal in my opinion. 

Several years ago I bought a nice 49 Dodge 2 dr. sedan that was originally sold by a dealership in hilly San Francisco.  It was equipped with a 4.11 ring and pinion and was a screamer a 55 mph.  It sounded and felt like I was driving an early 50's truck.  I lucked out on eBay and found a NOS ring and pinion set and had it installed.  Ahhhhh......what a difference.  I sold the car but forgot to attach a tag on the rear end stating the new ratio over the factory 4.11 stamping on the pumpkin.

Whomever owns it now will swear that the 4.11 ratio is just fine at a mile a minute.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 7:18 PM, lougeoplymouth36 said:

Our 39 Plymouth p2 was running real fast to keep up to 50 mph. I changed the clutch and set up is very important. Changed the oil in the transmisson to Lucas oil. Did the same to the rear end.

Gears run a lot quietier and shift smoother also. Engine doesn't rev as much and we run down the highway at around 55 to 60 mph. I'm in Canada so we use kph. That is 85 to 95 kph. Have been putting a lot of mph's this summer, been working Great.

Give this a try first, it is the most cost effective way to handle the situation. Our car drives like new and keeps up as well without a lot of stress on the engine. Hope this was helpful.

Good Luck

George and Louise Johnson20150517_094057.jpg20150517_094142.jpg

P.S.

Our car runs so quiet, people don't even know we are behind them most times.

I am sending a picture of our car. Never being painted all original inside and out.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Really nice looking Plymouth George.  I especially like the fender skirts.  Have been looking for a pair for a while but no luck.  Randy