Another car guy has passed.... R.I.P. George Barris

keiser31

Heard the sad news today that car customizer, George Barris has passed. He had quite an influence on my childhood and maybe some of yours. I know he was not a restorer, but a car guy is a car guy, after all.

post-81542-0-99387400-1446753499_thumb.j

post-81542-0-79342800-1446753889_thumb.j

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

GREAT PHOTO!

They had him on 'American Pickers' a while back - toured his shop.

Understand he had saved the Zephyr show car and it became the Batmobile? (Not sure on this.)

:(

Futura - that's it - thank you Keiser.

Edited by AC Fuhrman (see edit history)

GREAT PHOTO!

They had him on 'American Pickers' a while back - toured his shop.

Understand he had saved the Zephyr show car and it became the Batmobile? (Not sure on this.)

:(

I believe that the Lincoln Futura show car became the Batmobile.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest AlCapone

I had the pleasure to meet George a few years ago. A true gentleman in every sense. He will certainly be missed in our hobby. May he rest in peace and may his family and friends cherish the great memories forever! Wayne

When you look back at automotive history, there are a handful of guys who pretty much guided the whole thing, and George Barris was one of them. There are few custom-built cars that don't have a few tricks that he invented on them and while he often had questionable taste, it was all about pushing boundaries and few were better at figuring out "the next big thing" than George Barris. His reputation was well-deserved and his talents will probably not be seen again. He was also a fine ambassador for the hobby, always ready with a smile and a handshake, and never grew tired of talking to fans and enthusiasts.

Best to his family and his many friends, I know he will be missed.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifAla Kart.jpgTo me the Ala Kart will always be the best car George ever created. It's beauty has not faded at all over all the decades since it was made. That is one gorgeous show car!

Howard Dennis

I agree, I got to see it in the early 1960's in NYC, my Dad would take me to see the Hot Rod and Custom cars show every year. The grille was made with hundreds of clear plastic pieces, and those fenders were just perfect. So glad it was restored after the fire. Growing up in the 1960's he was a big part of the hobby, sure helped a lot of people see the fun in working on old cars. He lived a full life, RIP. Bob