cracked block 26 Buick

Has anyone had luck repairing a cracked water jacket on the cylinder block? I have<BR>a 26 Buick Standard six which is original<BR>and complete except for this crack. Haven't<BR>had luck finding a replacement and wonder what to do?? Ca.

Guest Chuck Conrad

I know that cracked cast iron blocks usually can be repaired. Of course, it is cheaper to not go that route, unless you have to. If you can find a replacement engine, you are probably better off. Welding cast iron, isn't all that easy, but it can be done. After the crack is fixed, it's off to the machine shop for a total rebuild job.<P> While I have no personal knowledge of someone who does this at reasonable cost, I would suggest you start with a current issue of Hemmings Motor News, and look under "Services." I've seen ads for this particular repair in their magazine before.<P>Perhaps one of our CCCA DF'ers has a better lead for you.<P>Good luck with your project!

• 1 month later...

Hi Don,<BR>This reply is coming to you after your question is pretty old so please excuse me if you have resolved the issue.<BR>There is a gentleman in Pennsylvania who can probably tell you every thing there is to know about welding cast iron. his name is Chris Leydon of Leydon Restorations. I have a number which may be old. 215 794 5535. The shop is in Lahaska which may have a 610 area code now??<BR>Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I have had great success with cast iron cyl block welding by an engine rebuilder in North Carolina. Sonny Perkins owner of SuperWeld in Goldsboro has a low heat welding process for cyl walls water jackets etc. <P>Sonny's phone number is 919-735-1862<P>good luck Jim Aldrich