Switch-pitch Super Turbine valve body 65-67 and shift kits?

RoadShark

So, the Turbo 400 (Super Turbine in Buick parlance) in my '67 has 114k miles on it.  It shifts good, and it looks like someone kept the fluid changed.

I'd like to put a shift kit in it, just to firm up the shifts and maybe get another 100k out of it.

I called up TransGo and he said that due to the valve body differences between the SP and the normal Turbo 400, that there wasn't a kit for it, but that pieces from two kits could be used along with some hole-drilling.  He said he'd have to "walk me through it".  When I asked if it would give me firmer shifts, he said that it would "clean-up" the shift.

Being somewhat dissatisfied with how coy TransGo was being, I called B&M.  I got what sounded like a very young guy on the phone.  He read from the catalog that they make a shift kit for a '67 Riviera.  When I started asking him about variable-pitch torque converters and corresponding valve bodies, he got nervous and said they don't make anything for that.  I might call back in a couple of days and see if I get someone else.

This article shows a small difference in the valve bodies:

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/SPTrans.htm

Does anyone have any experience with shift kits on these?

I've thought of calling TA Performance too since they seem pretty knowledgeable.  

Here in North Jersey Fisher Auto Trans rebuilt mine. It was no problem; they trotted out the seventy year old guy who said "Yup- switch pitch trans", and there was no problem at all. I needed a flex plate, which they got from Fatsco Transmission Parts, next town over. I think one is owned by the other, but Fatsco is known for finding old parts for transmissions.

Fisher is 973 227 3452, Fairfield NJ. I think the guy in charge was Steve but not sure. Fatsco is the next town over; 973 227 2487.

Call them before you do anything. If you're having trouble send me a pm and I'll go over there; I got to know them well.

Sam

ps they may remember doing my silver (Platinum Mist ) 67 last year.

Here in North Jersey Fisher Auto Trans rebuilt mine. It was no problem; they trotted out the seventy year old guy who said "Yup- switch pitch trans", and there was no problem at all. I needed a flex plate, which they got from Fatsco Transmission Parts, next town over. I think one is owned by the other, but Fatsco is known for finding old parts for transmissions.

Fisher is 973 227 3452, Fairfield NJ. I think the guy in charge was Steve but not sure. Fatsco is the next town over; 973 227 2487.

Call them before you do anything. If you're having trouble send me a pm and I'll go over there; I got to know them well.

Sam

ps they may remember doing my silver (Platinum Mist ) 67 last year.

Thanks - that's a generous offer.  I'll hold off on calling them until last resort.  I feel a little funny asking them for information on a $35.00 shift kit that I probably wouldn't buy from them.  Let me see if I can get the info elsewhere first.

• 1 month later...

Yes - I've seen that article.  The guys on v8buick helped me out a lot too.

I've found it difficult to get all the info I needed in one spot.  A combination of v8buick, two TH400 rebuild books, that article, the directions to the TransGo 1&2 kit, and the TransGo video from their website have made it all come together.

I really want the 3-2 downshift, so I scored a TH375 valve body along with the shift kit and an aluminum pan.  All I need now is  a filter and the red stripe modulator.

I've got a 5-gallon bucket of Dexron coming from Amazon too.  Cheaper than buying locally.  

Oh, and I also need a clear weekend to do it, and that may not happen until February...

I'm not really doing a rebuild.  If I didn't buy the aluminum pan, I would be shelling out less than $100.00 total.  The xmsn isn't coming out of the car.  I'm dropping the pan, dropping the valve body, drilling a couple of holes and changing some springs.  Swap modulators, and add fluid.