Sign in to follow this  
Oldengineer

What weight oil should I use

I'd suggest 10/30 unless you have wear issues. Then step up to a 20/50? What has the previous owner been using? Same brand & weight would be fine.

Considering the factory recommended 20W for normal driving and temperatures when the car was new, and oils weren't nearly as advanced then, 10W30 or straight 30 weight will be fine. I wouldn't go 5W30 unless the engine is a fresh rebuild.

I waited to jump in on this one to see where others came down.  Back in the day I was a big fan of straight 20w, as was the factory.  Of course it is no longer available.  So, unless you drive the car in the winter, I would also recommend 30w HD.

Thanks Guys for your advice.  The car has 48K on it. From paper work I got with the car, It got a partial rebuild in the late 90s [ rod bearings, new rings, and heads redone].  Following you advice, I'll be using Castrol GTX 10W-30 in her.

Regards:

Oldengineer

;:

I like Brad Penn, it's the old green Kendall... I use 10-40..

Oil is like a woman's hair color everyone likes something just a little different. That being said what ever oil you choose be sure that it contains enough zddp (zinc) to keep your valve train alive and well. I use Rotella T 15-40  and prefer red heads Your mileage may differ.... Tedd

Most cars of that vintage called for 30 W in summer and 20W in winter.

I have two 1961 Oldsmobiles and use Valvoline 30W racing oil in both year round.

My cars see very little action in the winter so that suits me fine.

This oil carries a significant amount of zinc (ZDDP) which is good for the camshaft and lifters.

Here is the url for amazon but you can get it at most auto parts stores.

I buy mine at O Reillys.

Good luck, Dave.

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV223-6PK-VR1-Racing-Motor/dp/B00DJ4FOFA/ref=sr_1_3/187-1955409-2597361?ie=UTF8&qid=1450283012&sr=8-3&keywords=valvoline+racing+oil