1950 Olds 98 Brakes

Guest Oldengineer

Guest Oldengineer

I notice that the Olds I just acquired requires a lot more pedal pressure to stop the car than my 48 Chevy did. Is this normal?

Regards:

Oldengineer

Well it is a heavier car. Does it have power brakes? How much harder are they? If you really have to stand on them but they pull the car up straight I would check the power brake booster if there is one.

Starting in the late 80s asbestos was banned from brake linings so newer linings tend to be less effective, that could be part of it.

Guest Oldengineer

Car doesn't have power brakes, and, you really have to stand on the brakes to get her to stop. Pedal is good and hard. I suspect hard lining is the problem.

Regards:

Oldengineer

There's lot of info on this on the Buick forum. In a nut shell you are most likely correct, the linings are too hard, meaning an incorrect coefficient of friction. It took me an awful long time  and lots of aggravation before I got my 57 Buick to stop correctly. Search on the Buick forum and try to bring up "Old tank". He has a lot to say on this...........Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Even with self adjusters, I still have to go under and crank the star wheel a few clicks twice a year to keep the brakes up to par on my 64 Bonneville... Loose brakes will take a lot out of the self energizing effect of drum brakes.. I tighten until I hear a light but steady scraping sound as the wheel spins..