Sign in to follow this  
oakland

Master cylinder fluid

I have not driven my 63 Riviera for a while.  Took it off the car lift yesterday and noticed the power brake depressed easily and the pedal would not come back after hitting the brakes.   I opened up the master cylinder and it looked like it was full of a muddy like fluid.   What would cause this?   I assume I would have to replace the master cylinder but will I have to replace all brake lines etc? 

Edited by oakland (see edit history)

I assume by Buddy fluid you really mean Muddy fluid. This is what happens to DOT 3 fluid when it sits around

too much and the car is not driven regularly to keep the moisture evaporated out of the system. If I was you I would replace the master cylinder and all 4 wheel cylinders and flush out all the brake lines with solvent and bleed out the brakes with new DOT 4 silicone fluid.

I believe the silicone brake fluid you referred to is DOT 5 Winston ?

DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3 fluid, but with a higher boiling point. 

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had that "muddy" looking fluid in the bottom of my reservoir too.  I assume it was the fluid pulling moisture out of the air or just old sludgy fluid. The brakes still worked.  Have the system flushed and replaced with new fluid. 

Edited by Sweet64rivi (see edit history)