What needs doing to clean fuel system and be able to run a 1929 Hupmobile?

tedquick

Trying to sell a 1929 Hupmobile Century 6 Opera Coupe (here and elsewhere). Engine is NOT running since it hasn't run since ~1994. Gas in tank has gone bad, as well as spark plug wires, and other wiring, has to be replaced first.

Out of my depth here, what does it take to do this, what are the possible problems, and how risky is it starting the engine first time. Owner I'm working with is worried it may throw a rod or something else terrible on starting.

Ted Quick

I'll let someone else address the gas tank issue - there are short cuts to at least see if it will run and what I might do might be "iffy" in some people's opinions. You do need to check the oil - and the pan should be dropped and the sludge taken out before you do more than just make sure that it runs,

But why do you want to change the plug wires and other wiring? It looks pretty good in the pictures. In any event - make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.when you first start it up and when you try all the lights, bells and whistles.

In all honesty I helped "retrieve" a lot of old cars back in the 60's and 70's that had been stored for up to thirty years. We took along some gasoline, ether, water, oil, tire pump and a fresh battery and there was only one we couldn't get started and had to push (and lever) onto the trailer. The combination of old gas, ether and fresh gas creates a LOT of black smoke for a couple of minutes .. OK, like I said - I will leave it up to someone else to explain how things are done now. But I sure don't see the need to do anything to the wiring to get it started, or for local driving for that matter.

Just my two cents

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what vermontboy said.   Clean up the points, clean the carb, install a new battery.  I would get a small gas tank (lawn mower style) and hang it from the hood rod, gravity fed the gas to the carburetor and fire her up!  Be careful playing with the Hupmobile, that is how I fell in love with them.

PS pulling and cleaning the pan is a great idea, do not forget new oil I use 15-40 diesel engine oil, you can find it an any farm store.

PPS If you have a local car garage with an owner born before 1960 they could help you

Do not use the old gas, it could gum up your motor for good. Use a motorboat gas tank or other auxiliary supply as described.

I have gotten lots of old motors going after up to 30 years out of commission. My principle is to change NOTHING without good reason. Start by oiling the cylinders and getting it turning over. Go on to  inspecting and cleaning the points and plugs and testing for a good spark. If the engine turns over and has compression, and spark, you can give it some gas and see if it will go. Once you get it started let it run at a fast idle  for 10 or 20 minutes and warm up. It may take a while for the engine to smooth out and idle down.

The most important thing is not to go changing and messing with things you don't understand. You can get it so messed up the oldest mechanic in the world couldn't fix it without starting again from scratch and doing everything over.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The most important thing is not to go changing and messing with things you don't understand. You can get it so messed up the oldest mechanic in the world couldn't fix it without starting again from scratch and doing everything over.

Been there done that.  I have been asked to sort out a number of vehicles that persons just started changing stuff and got it so I had to start at square one with the basics to get it running again. 

Best advice is if you do not understand it then do not touch it.

You might actually cause some damage that was not there before you started adjusting and changing stuff.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)