Sign in to follow this  
Lakewood90712

Using Stale Gasoline

I pulled out about 10 gallons of E-10 from 2 stored vehicles. Sitting about 4 years.Smells bad, and has a slight yellow tint. No sludge at all. 

Safe to mix with 50% or 75 %  fresh gas and use it ?

Why risk it? Your instinct tells you the gas is bad, so don't use it. 10 gallons of new gas doesn't cost that much, while the "old" gas could cause all sorts of mischief.

Dispose of it, don't use it.  If gas smells bad, it is bad, and 4 years is about 3 years longer than E-10 will last under the best conditions.

It will probably still burn. Might be good for starting the brush pile.

I had a 55 gallon drum full of very bad gas that I offered for free on Craig's list. It took a couple of weeks before someone finally came and got it.

The local sanitation district ( Trash disposal dept )  has household hazardous waste drop off every weekend here. They don't like things like chemicals in water jugs, but usually accept anyway.

The above video sure shows how gasoline vapor spreads at ground level. Good thing the guy didn't get burned.

Looks like it worked.

I gave about 20 gallons to a guy once and he poured it on some blackberries.

Some of the gas ran into a culvert. When he touched it off it shot a couple of possums across the road.

The fire marshal commented that he couldn't bust the guy for being stupid.

I think if a guy waited awhile to let the gasoline soak in and figure a way to light it with his bow and arrow he may save himself some work.

In southern cal we are stuck with E-10 , also has special low evap emission stuff in it, costs close to a buck more than the national average. I don't know if it degrades quicker the 100% gasoline , even if treated with stabil. 

Leaded 100 % gasoline is still available at the airport (100 low lead) ,but the stuff is like $6.00 a gallon , Says 100 but the octane rating is calculated differently so it's actually  close to automotive premium.

For those of you that don't want to deal with draining your fuel when storing your vehicle or stale gasoline, you may want to consider AvGas.

Background: 100LL currently sells for about $4.50 here in Michigan. It still contains tetraethyl lead (TEL) which is the toxic compound phased out in the mid-1970s when the industry went to unleaded. It has almost the same level of lead as the leaded automotive fuels did at the time. Compared to today's unleaded fuels, the octane rating, while measured a bit differently, would still be higher than what is available at your local gas station....(R+M)/2 around 100 or just a bit higher. Keep in mind that the "anti-knock" octane rating is related to the temperature the fuel will combust at and its burn rate. High octane requires a higher temperature to ignite and has a slower burn rate. Piston engines in aircraft requiring 100LL typically have compression ratios between 8:1 and 9:1 with 8.5:1 being the most common. They don't require the high octane ratings because of high compression ratios but due to the fact they are air cooled and have much higher head/combustion chamber temperatures than water cooled engines.

Now, to the point of why you may want to consider AvGas in your vintage car.  The additive package in AvGas is superior to none for long term fuel stability.  My success with Stabil is pretty so-so but results using AvGas prior to longer term storage has been excellent.  I wouldn’t leave it for years in a vented tank but I have had really good experience at least for 18 months. You may not want to spend the extra money during the driving months on AvGas but running the last tank of fuel with AvGas might save you some grief.

Downside: cost, not typically taxed for road use so your state motor vehicle regulators may not like you using it, the environmentalists would not be happy due to the TEL content

Scott

Leaded racing gas, available 110, 120.

I agree that the octane rating is done differently than your pump posted, but it is quite stable.

I deal in the stuff and at $11.50 a gallon is less than at the track.

Avgas is formulated to run at altitude but is probably better than what is available at your local gas station.