Correct color for 'R' on 64 Shifter indicator

64Rivvy

I'm cleaning up and restoring my shifter plate and indicator while I wait for some parts to arrive.  I will use a white paint pen to fill the PARK, N, D, and L letters back in, but the "R" looks like it was orange or red.  Does anyone know the correct color it should be?

I tried searching and looking it up on Google but couldn't find one.

Thanks.

I found a picture out on eBay of a 64 that is supposed to be completely original. The 'R' on the shifter indicator is the same color as all the other letters. A previous owner must have changed it ion mine at some point to orange or red. When I opened it up I could tell it had been opened before. I will post some pics and a quick write up on it when I finish it.

Here is a pic after cleaning up the lens. I'll see if I can find some pics before. Basically the plastic was completely clouded and all of the lettering had faded away. You couldn't see which gear the transmission is in.

I used rubbing compound to polish the plastic lens which actually worked very well. It went from a cloudy milky color,you couldn't see through to perfectly clear. Then I used a fine tip white paint pen to put the letters back on. Unfortunately the outline of the letters on the plastic was very faint and didn't have enough of a ridge to guide the tip of the paint pen. The result is not the perfect straight lines and lettering I was hoping for. Good enough for now until I find a replacement. At least I can see which gear I'm in now. Just passing this along in case anyone finds it useful. The rubbing compound should also work really well on the gauge lenses. I will try it on there next when I start detailing the dash.

post-155061-0-43131600-1446599440_thumb.

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)