Need major help with a 29 Chrysler 75

Back story, my grandpa bought this car for my grandma. He only drive it a few times before sending it to be repainted, grandma never rode in it. This guy took every nut and bolt apart and left it sit for years. So they demanded the parts back and got everything except the body. It has been sitting in storage for the past 12 years and my grandmother told me I could have it under one condition, that I give her her first ride in it when it's back together.

I only have 3 polaroids of the car together and my dad is telling me it's a phaeton, so my questions are...

How can I tell if it is a phaeton?

Does anyone have references or even detailed pictures to help me put it back together? Any advise would help greatly!

If you provide some photos of what you have, we can probably help you out. It should look like this if it is a real 1929 Chrysler Model 75 phaeton....

Where are you located? Maybe a trip to your place is in order.

post-81542-0-10992500-1446138125_thumb.j

post-81542-0-42060000-1446138139_thumb.j

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

So what makes it a 7 pass car? 3rd row of seats?

The seven passenger has two jump seats right behind the front seat and in front of the rear seat. Two passengers in the front, two in the jump seats and three in the rear seat = seven passengers.

Yeah, What did they do with the body? Pretty much useless without the body!

I don't know about "pretty much useless", but it will really be difficult to move ahead on this particular project if the convertible sedan body is missing. I am fairly certain that the wheelbase is larger on that body style than the others.

**I could be wrong on this because i just read in my books that the car in question is only a five passenger car.

There are no "shop" manuals, but there is an "instruction book" available on Ebay and other sites. As far as assembly instructions....nope. All you can really do is to look for a car club locally and maybe someone there can show you where things go. You can also scroll down to the Chrysler section of this forum and post questions there. You will get a lot of help there. I could probably show you where everything goes, but I am too far away. You can contact the W.P.C. Club and see if there is a local region of those folks in your area. There may even be some AACA members nearby.

You're right Keiser, it may not be totally useless but where is he going to find another body if the car is so rare. Sounds like somebody's getting the runaround! Hope he can get this resolved!

I hope he gets the original body back. I don't think there is a possibility of finding another convertible sedan body, but if the wheelbase is the same as the other body styles, perhaps a sedan, coupe or roadster body can be found. You never know. One could always build a speedster body for it.

I sure hope it works out for you.

If possible and not too much trouble... could you send me a close photo of the carburetor? and photos of original floor mats and running board mats (if you have them) and ESPECIALLY the boots that fit over the steering column/ pedals and gear shift/parking brake?

I'm kind of surprised by the distributor cap.... I'll forward a picture.  I thought it was the covered style.  Should be a dual point system.

• 4 weeks later...

Note the adapter between the Zenith carburetor and the intake.

The original carb used on the model 75 was a Penberthy "cross-flange" carb. Drawing a straight line between the two mounting bolts on a cross-flange carb will result in a line in the orientation of fender to fender (can be seen in the picture on the manifold). Drawing a straight line between the two mounting bolts on a straight-flange carb will result in a line in the orientation of bumper to bumper (can be seen on the Zenith carb in the picture). Thus the necessity of the "flange adapter" pictured.

My records show the model 75 used a 249 CID engine, similiar to the model 72 (export) also a 249.

The model 72 used a Stromberg OX-2 carburetor, which like the domestic model 75, was a cross-flange.

The original Penberthy is quite scarce (zinc alloy - pot metal, and cracked to pieces). Once you get the engine running, you might consider looking for a Stromberg OX-2 which could be calibrated specifically for the 249 CID engine, and the adapter could be eliminated. The Stromberg OX-2 is mostly brass.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Bevans077,

Certainly the cap is correct.  The original distributor was 659B, dual point.  That housing, gear and advance arm are right, though.  I'll have to check, maybe it is right for the Series 65 engine.

That said, it sounds like this car was running prior to its current restoration - so it most likely works.

Mr Carbking gave good information.  I have a Carter BB1 on my car - that one might be easier to find.

I hope you get an opportunity to get the car complete and restored.

Tom