code 1226

shelbyone

did not have an issue for a long time... check engine came on, engine stuttered..got code 1226 (INJ 1 PEAK CURRENT) high resistance condition detected in the INJ 1injector bank circuit..checked cables first and saw that cylinder 1 spark plug cable disconnected..also, the cyl 1 spark plug was loose to the point where it only took a quarter turn to be removed..put it all back together...drove  2 miles...everything good..then same issue...this time, took out all spark plugs, cleaned them, exchanged all spark plug cables and distributor cap..checked for vac leaks...

same thing...check engine and code 1226...I have no more ideas....and I need help...what exactly does INJ 1 peak current mean? do I need new injectors?

anyone??

Your code could mean bad connection, injector or controller. If you have the V6, get the $13 on sale injector from rockauto and don't sweat the troubleshooting. If you have the turbo, a good way to find out if the injector is the problem is check all connections and if you don't find a bad connection, swap it with an injector from another cylinder and see if the problem moves with it. If you need to swap injectors to identify your problem best get a couple new O-rings, they are old and might not reseal.

If your going to do it, do it right now, just looked the $13 dollar closeouts are gone and there are only a couple of the less than $19 dollar injectors left.

And yes, if it is a bad 25 year old injector, best to change all at same time.

I looked at the ebay posting the injectors are FJ28"s and from the compatibility chart they should work. Different colors could just mean different manufacturers. If you are only changing one you need to be looking at the numbers on they casing and checking to see if they have the same fuel volume and spray pattern. If you are changing all at the same time you should be fine, The important thing is that all the injectors have the same spray pattern and flow volume.

Archived