Radial and P-Radial tires

When I was Team Captain at Hershey there were three vehicles in the 27e class (62-63 production vehicles) that had P type radial tires and one that had regular radial tires. 

How is the AACA going to get owners to understand and comply with the rules about tires?  This was the first time I had seen that many vehicles with those tires in one class.  One guy was nearly nasty when I approached him to talk to him about the P-radials he had on one of his cars.  He said, "I will NEVER put bias ply tires on that car!!"  Yet the other car he had there had the correct tires.   His wife was horrified that he acted like that and talked to me away from where he was.  I hope she can calm him down and get him to understand that he needs to put correct tires on the car if he wants it to go higher in the program.  They were the only one going for an award and didn't get it. 

The latest issue of the Rummage Box had a two page article on this issue. Herb Oakes specifically asked for all Newsletter Editors to please reprint that article in their region and chapter newsletters. Hopefully many will do as Herb asked to help get the word out. 

http://www.aaca.org/images/rummage_box/2015_Fall_Rummage_Box.pdf

A correction to the article in the Rummage Box, there is certainly proper documentation on radials for 67 Buick's, but it was not listed in the owners manual on the 67's. It should also be noted that General Motors went away from the use of radials from 70 to at least 73, I believe 74 was when the radial was again offered as an option

Edited by MrNova (see edit history)

Radials were indeed available in 67 on Buicks, but they would not have been P-Metric radials. The radial tires that would be appropriate would be something like an HR78-15 or a 225/75R15. Note the 225/75R15 does not have the "P" designation. This designation did not come out until 1979 and would not be appropriate for a 60s or early 70s era vehicle.

I am not the tire expert but I am not sure what you are saying needs to be corrected. Mr. Marsh's text indicates, "General Motors started their utilization in 1967 followed by Ford in 1969 and Chrysler in 1973."

In any case, the judging guidelines cannot cover every possible combination of components on every possible car on the showfield. They are "guidelines" In any question about any component, the key is documentation. If you have documentation on anything that you feel might be questioned, it would be good to offer that documentation to the Team Captain when he or she greets you on the showfield. Something along the lines of, "I think it is possible that a judge might question the authenticity of the tires on my car. Please let me know if you would like to see the documentation that I have for the tires on the car". If the chassis judge did question the tires, I am sure that would make it certain that the team would review your documentation.

I was just correcting the wording in the article that the "radials are listed in 67 Skylark Owners manuals" - they are not listed in the owners manuals but certainly were offered on 67 Buicks (as seen by this 67 pamphlet sent to dealers) and of course are allowed for judging in both the BCA & AACA. 

Edited by MrNova (see edit history)