what to do put 4k in Reatta with 149500 miles or buy modern car?

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I my found out that to paint my Reatta with a two step clear coat paint, align hood $1,800. Refurbish interior using existing leather(no rips, some cracks on drivers side seat bolster)

Drive train in good shape, oil level does not drop every 3k everything works but courtesy lights.

Here in Miami I can buy a 2005 or 6 Mustang for 4 to 6 K with 80 to 100,000 miles. HELP! What should I do? Spend 4grand onReatta or replace it?

Or you could sell your current Reatta and add that to the $4000 and buy one heckuva nice Reatta with far far lower mileage needing nithing

That's the price for a decent base coat/clear coat. It is usually the prep that adds up.

Didn't you buy a Centurian convert ? That solves one need and provides a backup for number two.

For me the first thing I do is to create a spreadsheet of Musts and Wants, then see what fits. One missed Must and three missed Wants is a reason to walk.

The last car I bought was because I was looking for a nice five speed Fiero and found a nice 6 speed Crossfire for less money. Only real trouble is as an '07 it was already 10 years out of date. But the AC is cold and the Jeep is a nice backup/hauler/tow car.

Agree could probably sell yours but only if you know what you are going to get. $4k-$6k would buy a lower milage nice Coupe. For Florida I'd look for one with a roof vent and a lighter color.

Personally prefer odder cars than a 'stang like maybe a '00-'02 Firebird with V6 and five speed if a pony car but frankly prefer a 2 seater. Suspect the next car I buy will have a retractable roof.

OTOH this is interesting though the six speed seems to have the same stupid ratios as my Crossie (4.45:1 first, is easier to start in 2nd & sixth is no where near long enough...)

Of course you can replace the whole drivetrain in your Reatta inexpensively so 150k is not really important. What is whether you like what it is. That is really the first question. If not then create your spreadsheet. If so then get it painted well.

I would like to see your Reatta reconditioned but it doesn't make good sense to me from a financial stand point to put $4000 in it.

If your goal is to have a nice Reatta with good paint and interior, I say take the $4000 and buy one. If the new Reatta needs some mechanical work take the money you get from selling your old Reatta and fix it. Mechanical work on a Reatta is much easier and cheaper than paint and body work.

I prefer factory paint over a repaint even if it has minor defects on my cars  I have never been a fan of, (or had much luck with), repainting a car that is going to be driven daily and left sitting outside for long periods of time. Black would be the last color I would want a car repainted. It is the hardest to prep and will show the most imperfections once it is finished. I think the repaint money would be better spent on a car with good factory paint. In Florida I would not choose the color black. Black is the hottest color to the touch, hardest to cool and hardest to keep clean. I admit that black is beautiful on a show car but not people who drive them can keep them looking that way.

If you goal is to have a sporty looking car to drive daily there are a lot better choices out there than a 25 year old Reatta. If you spend the $4000, plus whatever you can get out of your current Reatta, there are a lot of nice cars to choose from.

Guest Richard D

Thanks to all. I have always liked oddball and different cars than most folks. I was also looking at Mazda Rx 8s but was told they were ugly which is not a problem, then someone else told me the Rotary engine in the RX 8 is good for 100,000 miles and rebuilding one is not really rebuilt like a piston engine that can be bored 30,000 over size. Padgett thanks for the reminder of the Crossfire, I looked for one with my brother who bought a Cadillac, maybe I was adopted. I also am looking for a Subaru Brat.

Once again thanks to all for your time, the search goes on.

Richard

When I took the 88 to Cedar Key with Heather Alexander's Midsummer on the sound system I was reminded of just how nice a car it is for long distance driving, just turn the AC on, hit the cruise and go with plenty of room for tools/luggage. I do take the Crossie on 180 mile non-stop runs but is more for local driving.

Suspect a Merc or an XLR could be as good but one thing about GM cars, even the Fiero, I never had any problem with a comfortable driving position. On the Crossfire I had to carve several inches out of the rear (non-structural) bulkhead to get comfortable. Merc SLK might be the same. But a 350SLK havs a DOHC 6 and the XLR a DOHC 8. Decisions but needs a bit more depreciation.

Agree about black, would rather the Crossie was something else but that was a WANT and not a MUST. A modern AC has no problems keeping it cool & surface area is small. Have thought if I keep it might have it repainted a harsh Arctic White (GM 10) and keep black trim to match the Judge.

Rotary engines are great but ones I played with (late '70s) had seal issues and the whole engine needs to be torn down to replace. There is a reason they do not have more than two rotors.

I had an 86 RX 7 was a good car, no major issues - not a particularly comfortable car for long distance - looking back, it was kind of spartan - Had a Mercedes SLK convertible, if you can't afford them new, you can't afford them used - mine had a great maintenance record but cost be a FORTUNE in repairs starting at about 50K miles. 

In counterpoint my Crossie is a reskinned SLK320, (the bulkhead behind the seats is for the tonneau mount I don't have) and most of the parts have Bosche or Merc part numbers.

In two years (bought with 122k miles, now has 128k) I have had very little problems that were not design issues  and with over 70,000 made, parts are not a factor. True were a number of issues with '04s that were ironed out by '07 and for a replacement Fiero (close in size) it suits me.

Guest PontiacDude210

I wouldn't be afraid of the Rx8 personally. They're a great low dollar toy and rotary engines aren't terribly hard to come across. Low mile Rx8s are abundant locally. Although I would have to encourage you to hold on to your Reatta. They last for a really long time when cared for properly.

Guest Richard D

Well I did it. I found a low mileage 2005 V6 premium trim mustang for $4,600. The paint shop will get the Reatta in the next few days and to lower the price he can keep it in his shop and work on it when things are slow,much better price. I was supposed to pick up the 72 Centurion today after being in the shop for almost 9 months. Maybe tomorrow, having trouble with the new door cards, this is a different shop than the Reatta is going to. Since I live in

a condominium I have arranged for the convertible Centurion to share garage space at a friends 8 car garage, he is a real car collector and a very special friend. That Centurion takes up two spaces in his garage, it is truly huge. By the time the Reatta is done I will think of something. MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME THROUGH THIS. THIS IS THE BEST CAR SITE ON THE WEB BECAUSE OF ALL THE PEOPLE ON IT!

Richard.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)