What do you think is the rarest regular production car you've ever seen?

nick8086

Think where we are having a problem is with the definition of a "production car" and where are the boundaries ? For example consider a Hurst SSJ. It was catalogued and sold by Pontiac dealers & 470 were sold between 1970 and 1972 but at the bottom is just a Grand Prix with cosmetic changes. How about a Fordillac or Studillac ? Is being revewed by Tom McCahill enough ? How about the Cunninghams ? YWTK.

Think where we are having a problem is with the definition of a "production car" and where are the boundaries ? For example consider a Hurst SSJ. It was catalogued and sold by Pontiac dealers & 470 were sold between 1970 and 1972 but at the bottom is just a Grand Prix with cosmetic changes. How about a Fordillac or Studillac ? Is being revewed by Tom McCahill enough ? How about the Cunninghams ? YWTK.

Just enjoy the post.  This post is really interesting and educational. If not liked, the original OP could always take it down. Amazing only a hand full of people posting. Thought that there would be more traffic.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

It's perhaps not the rarest, but definitely one of the strangest. 

A friend traded in his Austin Mini Cooper for a new 1970 Chevrolet Camaro shortly after they were introduced.  He had to have one.  Looked nice in black, but it had a six cylinder engine and column shift with Powerglide.  The baby moon hubcaps were nice, though.  Often wondered what the value of it was when he sold/traded it.

Guest Graham Clayton

At the 2015 All Holden day just down the road from where I live, I saw a 1963 EH Holden S4. The S4 was a racing version of the EH built specifically to compete in the Bathurst 500 mile touring car race. Only 126 were built, and there are only a handful of survivors.

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/122054-1963-eh-holden-s4

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of rare ones. A circa 1955 Buckler Mk. 16. Bucklers are neat little sports/racing cars from the U.K. Think very early Lotus, Elva etc. Google them if you are curious. The Mk. 16 was the 6" longer W.B. version of the Mk. 15.  Mk 15's were Morris Minor engine configuration, entry level club racers although a few were built up for road use. The Mk 16 was the same basic chassis extended by 6 " and set up for MG TD power, or later on MGA power. Unfortunately even the owners assn. doesn't know production numbers for either but I have seen estimates of 25-30 MK 15's. with a decent number of survivors. The club is aware of only my Mk 16 here in Canada and a single other that is in England, production can only be guessed at but I doubt it was more than 10

My 1912 Staver Chicago. No production numbers survive but the highest numbered survivor is around 2000.  A grand total of 5 survivors as long as you are generous and count my basket case as a car. Mine is the only 1912, and the only model 40 thought to exist today.

Up the street from me a fellow car enthusiast has a 1967 TVR Tuscan , factory 289 Ford.  Built long after Jack Griffith ceased involvement with TVR. 1 of 24 produced, so quite a bit rarer than either a Griffith 200 or 400.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Was part of the appeal of my new toy, a 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. CompNine reported 39,860 GT (GTP was an option) coupes built. Of the 39,860, 47 had five speed manual transmissions (rest were automagics). This was the last year a manual transmission was available in a Grand Prix. This one also has a DOHC 6, 4 wheel disk brakes with ABS, FE3 suspension, and AC. Click on .sig for details.

So this beats my 78 Sunbird (V8/4 speed, 66 built) and 70 Grand Prix (400cid, 4 speed Muncie, 329 built).

In 1970 I looked into a Monte Carle but the 4 speed was only available with the small block.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Not the rarest, but bet very few of you have ever seen one.

1968 Cougar GT-E 427 side oiler. Less than 500 made, and some of the 500 didn't have the 427 side oiler.

I bought a black cherry new, site unseen, the last one I saw at an auction sold for $182,000.00

$5,200.00 which was high for a 1968 model.

NO I don't still own it.

Dale in Indy

Re: Studillac and Cunningham. Briggs Cunningham ran 2 Cadillacs at LeMans in 1950. He wanted to run Fordillacs the next year but was not permitted to, as they were not considered a production car under the rules. So he started building his own Cunningham sports cars which were allowed to race. Since the Studillac was the successor to the Fordillac, built in the same shop by the same people I think that answers your question.

In any case a Studillac, Fordillac or Cunningham would be considered a rare car at least by me.

Lots of Studillac's and especially Fordillac's were built by independent builders. There may have been a particular shop{ Frick, Tappett ,Momo, Cunningham } that is considered the origion  of the concept, but there were many who copied and even improved on the concept.

Cunningham on the other hand is considered a unique make. Others may have built sports racing specials along the lines of Cunningham produced cars, but no one then or now conciders them Cunningham's.

A Fordillac or a Studillac  is considered such regardless of who built it. Sure the most desirable have a Frick/ Cunningham history, but they are after all just a Ford/Stude car with a Cadillac engine. And many were built without any connection with Frick, Tappett , Momo or Cunningham.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

It is the same body shell and interior as the 1966 American Grand Prix, grill's, bumpers tail lights, all the same. It has a different roof and rear window  than a regular Pontiac Catalina, Bonneville or Parisienne.

I have been asked to bring it to a POCI meet by a member and if there is one close enough to me I will someday, maybe. The conversations and arguments can be entertaining or ridiculous, depending on the persons involved.

So far I've resisted the temptation other than a cruise- in at the Steve Plunkett Estate where the Fleetwood Country Cruise is held and it got some arguments going there!

The also put 327s, 348-409s in the Pontiacs.

post-121135-0-20923500-1457369182_thumb.

post-121135-0-94050400-1457369182_thumb.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Not the rarest, but bet very few of you have ever seen one.

1968 Cougar GT-E 427 side oiler. Less than 500 made, and some of the 500 didn't have the 427 side oiler.

I bought a black cherry new, site unseen, the last one I saw at an auction sold for $182,000.00

$5,200.00 which was high for a 1968 model.

NO I don't still own it.

Dale in Indy

My friends 68 Cougar XR7-G Sunroof-427-4 speed.

post-121135-0-97452100-1457369609_thumb.

post-121135-0-36386000-1457369663_thumb.

These photos of the 61 Pontiac were taken at the 348-409 convention, Great Bent, Ka, Sept of 2014. Were you present?

Wished I was. I have a lot of 409 friends that keep me posted on the 490 events. I have built about 20 09 cars and I did the clone of Profitts car in 1980 but I put a Z11 in it at the time. Here is the 409 meet at the Great Lakes Dragway in 1980-81.I was a member of the Mid-West 409 club at the time. The 63 pictured is me running a 409 with small heads on a 2 barrel back in the mid 80s

post-121135-0-26461000-1457383887_thumb.

post-121135-0-35023200-1457383888_thumb.

post-121135-0-95791900-1457383888_thumb.

post-121135-0-63123200-1457383894_thumb.

post-121135-0-40828600-1457383895_thumb.

post-121135-0-84628100-1457383895_thumb.

I am fortunate to own two fairly rare production Pierce-Arrows:  a 1930 Model B roadster (134-inch wheelbase, highest body number known = 106, total differently numbered roadsters listed with Pierce-Arrow Society since 1957 = 6), and a 1934 Pierce-Arrow model 840A (8-cyl, 12-cyl is 1240A) Silver Arrow coupe (highest 1934 body number known for both 8s and 12s is 43, at least 5 of these -- by known-to-PAS body number -- were built for 1935, and four are known to have survived into this century).  Pierce-Arrow production records were fed to the furnace when the company was liquidated in May 1938.

The SA coupe is on a 144-inch wheelbase otherwise used only for 7-p sedans and limousines.  The "production" SAs of 1934-35 used conventional P-A front clips and modified (widened) rear fenders.  The very famous 1933 SA concept/halo cars (5 built, 3 survive) shared no sheet metal with any production Pierce.  The SA coupe was available with or without sidemounted spare wheels; I think the lack of sidemounts shows the wonderful lines much better.

Both are regularly toured and driven, 9.000 miles on the roadster since its 2002 acquisition and 12,000 miles on the SA since its 2006 acquisition. 

post-76312-0-13686800-1457409044_thumb.j

post-76312-0-48769500-1457409139_thumb.j

post-76312-0-26780500-1457409175_thumb.j

post-76312-0-33660300-1457409425_thumb.j

The PA's are cool.  I have sat in one of the 5 original Silver Arrows as a friend owns it.  Interior is as cool as the exterior.

This thread title should be changed to "What are Rare production cars?".   There were more than a few cars that were built by recognized manufacturers in quantities of 1,2, & 3.  Most of the cars we are talking about were made in much greater quantities and the rarity comes from engine options.

"There were more than a few cars that were built by recognized manufacturers in quantities of 1,2, & 3."

Absolutely - I saw one of the original Mohs cars at Hershey back in the early 70's - it made quite an impression on me..

I also remember an early Otto that was at the GVAC shows in Rochester back in the early 60's.

Edited by vermontboy (see edit history)

The PA's are cool.  I have sat in one of the 5 original Silver Arrows as a friend owns it.  Interior is as cool as the exterior.

This thread title should be changed to "What are Rare production cars?".   There were more than a few cars that were built by recognized manufacturers in quantities of 1,2, & 3.  Most of the cars we are talking about were made in much greater quantities and the rarity comes from engine options.

I have to admit the lone 1970 Chrysler 300H convertible I mentioned in a previous thread that I saw was of course based on the regular full-size Chrysler line, and could be cloned; whereas, a '33 Silver Arrow cannot be cloned from a concurrent production P-A.

Therefore, a '33 Silver Arrow is considered 'non-production' with only five made that were designated show cars.  A 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt would fall under the same category.

Craig

A local car collector brought his 1962 GTO Ferrari to a local cruise in in Milford Ohio several years ago.  How many $30 million cars do you see parked next to a hand painted Pontiac Safari station wagon??  It was a great night!!

1958 Chrysler with side tricolored 300 D emblems saying Fuel Injection. 

The car was from a NY or NJ collector who sent it to a body shop in Ellington CT, then adandoned.  I saw it in perhaps the 70s.  A friend at that same time, showed us a current issue Car/Driver or MotorTrend article on the Chrysler collection owned by Mr Carpenter from the brother/sister music team "The Carpenters".   The "side article" about FI cars, said something like 13 built with Bendix injection, and all but one was recalled and refitted with 2 four barrels

The car I saw was a black 2dr hardtop with a medium green? interior, 2x4 carbs, A/C unit mounted in trunk, and hit real hard into one rear quarter.  I doubt it was scrapped, but don't know.  One rear quarter FI 300 D emblem was smashed, the other side was still there.

A local car collector brought his 1962 GTO Ferrari to a local cruise in in Milford Ohio several years ago.  How many $30 million cars do you see parked next to a hand painted Pontiac Safari station wagon??  It was a great night!!

I attended a car show in a small town north of here, with a population of roughly 250.  Two Rolls Royces showed up, a 1959 Silver Cloud and a 1954 Silver Dawn.  Turns out, neither owner met, or knew about each other until that meet.  Probably the rarest car at that show was a 1950 Dodge seven passenger sedan that was owned by the Jasper Park Lodge with observation windows in the roof.

Craig

Rarest was a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville 389 tripower/4 speed/4 door. 1 of 1.

Judge with 4 speed and AC is probably double digits, know 1970 GP/4 speed was around 300 cars.

88 Reatta was 4708 but mine has the sunroof which was a late intro.

So a lot depends on whether you include the option mix.

The 389 Tri-Power was not produced past 1965.

Exactly 500 GPs were built with a stick in 1970 (179 were 3-speeds).

485 1970 GTOs were built with the RAIII/AC/stick combination, which includes Judges. Both stats courtesy of Fred Simmonds.

I sold the 63 and fixed the 65. Later research, they only made a hand full and was the only black one produced. It was a customer ordered car built in Nov of 64.

Not actual car pictured, the one pictured is a 340 HP. Most were 340 with the power glide and the other car is  a 396 car.

Chevrolet didn't keep these kinds of records, especially by color.

I the very early 70s, I saw a 1967 Ford Country Squire wagon at a show in Xenia Ohio. It had a 428, 4 speed, and a console. Owner had documentation it was built like this. I doubt if there was another one like it. I never saw it again.

Kevin

Car still exists in Michigan. It's verified as being the only 4-speed Country Squire built, not to mention a Q-code 428.

I remember seeing a green 71 Dodge Challenger, low line stripper model on a used car lot with 2 barrel 318 and manual 3 speed transmission. This must certainly be a rare car, possibly one of a kind. 

664 1971 Challengers were built with the 318/manual tranny combo. This is for US-spec cars only.

Have a 1968 Cuda.

One of 7 produced. Only one with this color combo.

383 Formula S

4 speed

Convertable.

I hauled this car in 1996 from MI to CA on my 10 car hauler.

You are using 1969 production for a 1968 car, and Chrysler didn't keep info on colors for 1969; for 1968, only buffed silver seems to be recorded.

I've held my tongue long enough.............Back to the OP's question..........What is the rarest PRODUCTION car you have seen, not what is a common production car with a rare combination of options.  Take the car in my avatar, 1961 Dodge Polara 2 door hardtop.  My dad bought it new, I was with him, and still have it.  I've actively looked for other since that day and have only seen 2 others and 1 advertised for sale since 1961.  How many have seen one?  Most likely no one.  Desirable, no, that's why it survived.  A great car that no dealer wanted on trade.  Chrysler build about 2100 Polaras across all body styles in 1961, but did not break out production by body.  My guess is less an 100 were built.

I am in agreement with you as I inferred the same thing about what "rarest production car" is. 

In regards to your Polara, records compiled by Darrell Davis shows 1,862 Polara two-door hardtops were built.

Car still exists in Michigan. It's verified as being the only 4-speed Country Squire built, not to mention a Q-code 428.

I believe that car was in Muscle Car Review, or possibly Hemmings Muscle Machines.

What makes MCR so appealing to me is they cover a lot of 'one-offs'.

Craig

Have a couple of 66 tripowers under the bench (only year all carbs were the same large bolt pattern), guess the Bonne must have been a 421 then. Know it was a tripower, just too much rust for me.

And agree we need to have the parameters for the question set. Otherwise the answers abound.

OK 321 4spd 70 GPs (said 300ish), whadayawant from aged synapses? Now split 400 and 455 ( I would not have a 70 455 on a bet).

ps 69-71 GP manual trans about the only unique part was the top of the console. Suspect there is one in the dig somewhere, just saw the ash tray (is different from the automagic).

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

What is the rarest PRODUCTION car you have seen, not what is a common production car with a rare combination of options.

Of course 1966 Chevrolet trucks are far from rare; when new, and still popular today.

But its not everyday you see one factory painted in farm tractor colors of Flambeau Red & Sunset Tan: 

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1617/24539548084_8def08fb32_k_d.jpg

The tag reads 'SP.3208' for the color, and is '3208' is also marked on the firewall in black grease pencil.  I've been trying to convince the owner to order the Build Sheet stating Case tractor colors from GM of Canada Archives.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

...The 389 Tri-Power was not produced past 1965...

The tri power 389 was still the top option for the GTO in '66.  In '67 the 400 4V became the top option.

=diego= was correct when talking about B-bodies, in '66 trips were only available on 421s. However the 66 421 (short snout) was not available in the A-Body (Goats), only  tripower there was 389. Was the largest of the tripowers but with the Garbage Truck Option was limited by the very restrictive air cleaners (B-Bodies had a ginormous round sir cleaner).

A while ago I figured the little pots were good for about 200 CFM (end carbs were 435 cfm each) while the single B-Body could flow over 1,000. Wondered if they restricted the A-body a bit that way. Did make it easier for the single Q-Jet (about 750 cfm) 400 for '67 to outperform the '66 tripower.

For me the list is very lengthy. Ironically the term "rare" is anything but rare. I've seen more than I have owned but have personally seen quite a few truly rare cars. Seen so many one of one cars and one of <10 cars that, that category is not rare at all. Rare anymore is a manufactured or misused descriptor in too many ads. "This is the only one made with this color and these options" doesn't mean anything. If an option was only installed on 5% of the 15k made, that is rare.

I had an order sheet for one of those but hard to justify an option that was more than the MSRP of the base car, was near $7k when done.. Wound up buying a '70 Buick GS (4 spd/AC)

That was very true with low-price market cars in the 1950's and early '60's with factory air.  A/C was often almost half the cost of the base model then.

Craig