Body to Frame Mounting Pads Help/Question (Part 2)

Guest 1950_Buick

Guest 1950_Buick

Curious who has done a frame off restoration of a 1941-58 Buick and if you replaced your body to frame mounting pads.

If so, where did you buy them?

Anyone use Energy Suspensions Universal Kit?

I can only find 2 places that have the Buick rubber mounting pads 1) oldbuickparts.com and 2) classicbuicks.com

The problem with the second one, i.e. classicbuicks.com is that they are twice the price of the first one, which is really high in the first place, so it would seem they just buy and resell the pads from the first company.

The problem with oldbuickparts.com is as I said they are very expensive there, and to top it off when I tried ordering, they sent me a bogus tracking number from months ago, upon asking them for a new or correct shipment tracking number, they cancelled my order!? Phoning them up the manager was rude beyond belief and didn't seem to understand or be interested in customer service. (maybe i caught him on an off day!?)

This was even after them charging me the higher internal computer prices for their products than what was the published price on their website, telling me that at the end of the day, they don't care what the price of the website says, the computer is right at the end of the day. In addition I also mentioned that on their website, they state "for body mounts, they will try and make a complete kit for you at a discounted price" I said based on the total of the "individual" components reaching several hundreds of dollars, I'd be interested in their offer to do that. He said, it's not applicable. So, like I said, maybe I caught him on an off day, but based on my experience, I'll vote with my dollars and spend them elsewhere.

Right now, to me, Energy Suspension is looking like the best option as it is a technically superior product to rubber and 1/4 of the price of the rubber mounts.

So looking for anyones experience and sourcing options.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 1950_Buick (see edit history)

Steele rubber makes them and the vendors mentioned are resellers.  Try Bob's Automobilia and Fusick buick.  Or research the sizes and check more common cars like Chevy or Ford.  Universal and polyurethane will result in disappointing results.  Do it once with the right parts that will be a small percentage of the restoration.

Guest 1950_Buick

Steele rubber makes them and the vendors mentioned are resellers.  Try Bob's Automobilia and Fusick buick.  Or research the sizes and check more common cars like Chevy or Ford.  Universal and polyurethane will result in disappointing results.  Do it once with the right parts that will be a small percentage of the restoration.

thanks for the heads up!

I agree with the Buick restorer above that the claim of a "universal" kit would worry me.  I have also heard that in body mounts poly is not so good as the GM frame and body were designed to flex on rubber mounts more than the poly will allow. Good luck, Todd C 

I don't know about the kit you are looking at, but I ordered up an Energy Suspension cab mount kit for my '67 C20.  I assumed, incorrectly, that it would include all the steel bushings.  Nope - the instructions said to re-use your inner flanged bushings for two of the mounts.  Hey - I live in the northeast - my steel busing are just red dust at this point.  That's why I'm replacing them!

Anyway, I was lucky that another vendor reproduced the flanged bushings I needed and sold them individually.  I still had to cut them down for use with the poly bushings.  Sheesh.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1950_Buick

so I got them last week and very happy with the mounts, also what a great company to deal with at Steele Rubber, great helpful people, such a contrast from my experience with oldbuickparts.com

Highly recommend Steele Rubber to anyone looking for mounts, just wish they were cheaper!!!