Sign in to follow this  
yirgaman

resealing a gas tank

Has anyone resealed a gas tank when a piece of coating came loose?

My 32 Dodge tank was sealed about 10 years ago. The sealer used was a red color and the shop is no longer in business and a piece of sealer came off and

blocked the pickup tube. There was other small rust particles in the bottom of the tank as well. I was going to reseal the tank, but found out from the

Red-Kote sealer people I have to get all the old sealer out first because the recoating won't attach to the old and will come off. They told me to dissolve the old with acetone over a 2 day period and make sure all old sealer is gone before starting the sealing process again. I don't want to start this process if I

can't be sure it will work. Nobody makes replacement '32 Dodge tanks. If someone has had success doing this, I'll give it a try, otherwise I will put the tank back on and hope for the best. by the way the problem happened with my car when I got a 140 miles from home. I brought the tank home but have to go get my car this next week and drive it back home.

Larry

You're probably going to have troubles trying to re-seal something with a failing coating already on it. If one part fell off, then more is sure to follow. I've had good success with Gas Tank Renu, who has done three tanks for me. They cut it open, sandblast the inside, weld it back together, then coat it inside and out. It has a lifetime warranty at that point. It doesn't look quite stock anymore, as the outer finish is a textured black coating, but in cars where the tank is out of sight, it's a great choice. I seem to recall I spent about $400 last time I had it done, which I felt was reasonable for never having to worry about it again.

They're a franchise, so you should be able to find one relatively nearby.

You may have to use MEK to get the old sealer out.  As above, all the sealer must be removed before reseal.  The older sealer is not ethanol tolerant and will get eaten up by it and gum everything up in the engine.  Know from first hand experience with a hit and miss engine I used the older sealant in and then used ethanol gas.  Get it all out and use new sealant tolerant to ethanol gas!  As above, you may be smart to get it professionally done.

Tom

I think both you guys are probably right, have a pro do it and be done with it. I plan to flush the tank with gas, put it back on and drive it home where it can sit while I find a shop that can do it right

Some places the country still sell gas without ethanol in it, but not where I live here in Ohio. In fact there is an ethanol producing plant 5 miles from where my home is. it's unfortunate but a fact of owning an old car and the things that can happen. I can't be sure that chemical cleaning will be complete enough to avoid more problems.

thank you for your inputs.

Larry

Like Matt, I have had excellent experience with Gas Tank Renu.  I asked them not to paint the exterior and did that myself since the back half of my tank is exposed (1923).  So I used the same PPG product as the body was painted with. Not sure if that would be an issue for your '32.

Scott

I had the same problem on my 37 Lafayette, drove me nuts, after 15 years the sealer came off in sheets and plugged the fuel line.  Took the tank out, drained

it, filled it with a few pounds of small rocks and pressure washed the inside for about an hour till it was all loose, blow air in it till its dry (like 24 hrs), make sure the inside is 

clean ( use a flashlight  &  inspection mirror).  I then coated the inside of the tank with Caswell epoxy tank sealer (the stuff is great), that was about six years ago, 

have since used the process on my Franklin and my sons Reo.  The stuffs expensive but worth it.