Bad Alternator

Guest amoparx

Guest amoparx

Hi All,

I'm new here.  (not at all new to TD's though)  I just picked up a '90 3.0 TC.  Would have preferred 2.2, but I couldn't pass it up for the price. 

I bought it knowing it had a brake issue and knowing it would have been expensive.  But turned out to be the wiring connected to the relays!  Nice to win one, once in a while.

Ok, on to the problem.  The car isn't charging.  It's giving me a code 47. Regulator circuit.  I figured if it was a bad alt, it would have given my a different code.  A friend told me he saw a TC in a salvage yard so I went to get a few things I needed.  It had a computer so I grabbed it since the regulators are in there.  Waste of money.  Still not charging.  Can a bad alternator throw a code 47? 

Guest amoparx

Yes, I'm well aware of that..  But since the 2nd 'puter didn't change anything and that's where the regulator is,  I figured I'd ask if a code 47 can mean a bad alternator even though Russ's minimopar site says regulator circuit.   I'm in the process of changing the alternator right now since I have spares.  But of course, the TC has one more rib on the pulley than the other alt.  They don't come off very easily

CIRCUIT is the 'key word' here.

Have you checked the field wires for continuity? There is a large connector just below the battery tray.

You may have a poor connection there or elsewhere.

So before you go switching any more parts, always remember "the computer is smarter than most guys. It never tells you that a part is bad but a 'circuit' needs to be looked at. At the Chrysler Training Center, they always told us to believe and follow the advise of the engine controller.