V-12 Rebuild

abelincoln

Warning: If you are a 1930's only technology person, read no further.  This could give you indigestion.  But if you want to see what is possible read on.  This 1948 V-12 is 0.060 over with Egge pistons, has one piece front seal and two piece rear Ford seal, Melling 15 oil pump, re-ground solid cam, adjustable lifters, 8BA valve guides and valves, Hogan New Zealand heads, Austin 3-2 manifold, three GM throttle bodies, crank trigger location and timing, reversed direction water pumps and serpentine belt for AC and power steering, Reds Headers, and set up for Fuel Tech ECU.  Machine work by Central Cylinder Head in Portland, OR.  And its only a year behind schedule.  Still wiring and plumbing to do.

Abe

post-87260-0-97638300-1445299119_thumb.j

post-87260-0-92904800-1445299132_thumb.j

post-87260-0-46604900-1445299153_thumb.j

Sounds great, wish the pics were bigger. Is there a kit for the AC w/brackets available? What are your plans or the radiator? I would like to get my old radiator done but beef up the cooling a bit. Summers here are in the high 90's normally. AC would be fantastic someday...

Oldstyle:

Unfortunately, I had to fab my own bracketry using 3/8 X 1" bar and attach to front cover and to motor mount holes.  I still need to tweak as the serpentine belt likes pulleys to line up pretty close.  Dutchman water pumps in Grants Pass, OR did the pump conversion.  I had the stock radiator core replaced, was expensive, and will need to line the hoses to the heads to the inlets on the radiator. 

Abe

Very nice! What are you dropping it into? I'm not nearly as ambitious - just did the Melling M-15 and 8BA valves & guides. I don't like the idea of pulling the intake manifold to adjust valves and my new hydraulic lifters are sooo quiet. Let us know when you fire it up. Anxious to hear how the triple carbs work out. How much did the heads set you back?

DSpringer:

Got the Hogan NZ heads from the SCAT crank folks in CA.  They weren't cheap, but were less than H&H.  I'm using 1 1/2 PVC water fittings to match the 1 7/8 Lincoln radiator hoses, and had to punch holes in the pipe for heater hose and two water temp sensors.  Also needed longer spark plugs as the aluminum heads are thicker than stock iron heads.  Compression should be up a couple of points. Should be good for 180 HP.   I'm hoping to get in by next year, but first need to finish the brakes, mount the Vintage AC and heater evaporator, and punch holes in firewall.  I'm planning for an electric fuel pump and will regulate fuel pressure and fuel injector timing to hopefully not over-carburate.  Also thinking this would be a good time to replace right rocker panel, ours has a hole big enough to throw a cat through.  We'll post results.  When the engine is running, we'll then gut the interior, remove the rusty fenders, and paint.  Never ends. 

Abe