Sign in to follow this  
kenbenn

steering wheel restoration

Hi   I plan to refurbish my baketite steering  wheel from 1935 Hupmobile. I will fill, sand and paint to match , and coats of clear .

Anyone done tis ? and any advise.

Thanks Ken.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I've done it many times.  What I do may help, then others may have other ideas.

#1 I remove the steering wheel and inspect it.

#2 Thoroughly clean the entire wheel then wash with pep-sol (Like lacquer thinner or other cleaner solvent.

#3 Find all cracks, divots and imperfections and repair them.  I cut the cracks to a V, then fill them with a filler requiring a hardener.

#4 Shape, sand and prime to perfection.

#5 Paint with acrylic enamel with a hardener.  I always have black steering wheels and use a gloss black with a flattening agent to 

give it the Bakelite look.

Very durable and lasts almost forever like Bakelite

All as Paul said.  Clean, file out the cracks and fill with epoxy.  JB Weld is very good for this as it does not shrink and is easy to sand. 

I use epoxy primer and 2 pack paint to finish off.

Thanks for the advice guys. that's sounds great I shall proceed down those lines

thanks Ken.

I use a marine epoxy called "Aquqmend" .

It is like a clay and can be worked in and formed with your fingers. It also sands to a nice feathered edge ( it is not as messy as JB Weld) .

Hi   I plan to refurbish my baketite steering  wheel from 1935 Hupmobile. I will fill, sand and paint to match , and coats of clear .

Anyone done tis ? and any advise.

Thanks Ken.

Be careful Ken..Some people rather fix a steering wheel on the car...A real pain, no doubt..but many have encountered real big problems trying to remove a steering wheel.. Remember.. these are old cars..many components are rusted solid together and to try to remove they could break many things. I have a 1933 ford, and try to do as little disassemble as possible unless I really have too.

Edited by FrankWest107 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I find it almost impossible to get good paint coverage on a steering wheel that's still in the car.  May look good to the driver, but not through the windshield or from below.  Better to do it completely the first time.  I did my 34 Ford Tudor and no more black hands.  It

was done in the mid 70's and still was nice when I sold it in 1998.  I'd bet that it's still nice today.  I figure it lasted 40 years the first

time and materials were better when I did it, so maybe with less use, it's still good.  (Who knows, maybe the guy who bought it made

a street rod out of it.!)

Thanks everyone.    I will look up aquqmend  might be available in Australia.

Frank. Well I have already been down that road. I was determined to get the steering wheel of without damaging it

copious amount of spraying tapping etc. even made up a puller. ended up taking box,  column and wheel of together, to work on the bench.

Long story short wheel was not coming of .it defeated me, until I recruited the 5" grinder. I had another wheel which was in better condition,

which is the one I will refurbish.

Steering wheels can be a real problem to remove.. There are special pullers that work much better than others. In other words..It is a real problem to pull a steering wheel off an antique car. Be very careful.