removing wax from a car

FrankWest107

What solvent removes wax but won't hurt the paint

Wax and grease remover, as sold in any auto body supply shop.  PrepSol is one brand name, as is the cleverly-named "Prep All" knockoff.  You can buy Prep All on line.

Note that due to EPA requirements, many of these solvent-based products are being replaced with water-based products.  I have no experience with the latter.

61jJC1Uh1iL._SY355_.jpg

Wax and grease remover, as sold in any auto body supply shop.  PrepSol is one brand name, as is the cleverly-named "Prep All" knockoff.  You can buy Prep All on line.

Note that due to EPA requirements, many of these solvent-based products are being replaced with water-based products.  I have no experience with the latter.

61jJC1Uh1iL._SY355_.jpg

Thanks...Just what I need!

If you want to remove the wax from a car, first use Dawn liquid dish soap. Mix a bit in your bucket of water and you'll wipe the wax off.  After you have thoroughly washed the car several times, you can then use a Prep-All product to finish the job.

Dawn works very well and is much cheaper than other auto body products.

I also use Dawn for color sanding. 

If you want to remove the wax from a car, first use Dawn liquid dish soap. Mix a bit in your bucket of water and you'll wipe the wax off.  After you have thoroughly washed the car several times, you can then use a Prep-All product to finish the job.

Dawn works very well and is much cheaper than other auto body products.

I also use Dawn for color sanding. 

Great info and details, I appreciate it.

Believe it or not,  I've used lighter fluid to clean about a 1/2 inch of grease and oil build up off the body colored inner fenders on my 36 Chrysler then clear coated them after wards and not one fish eye anywhere.  I have been using it to degrease everything I paint since.  Best part is it's only a couple of bucks a quart and you can use fine paper towels then burn them when you are done.  An art framing store turned me onto it as they use it to clean photos. 

I second the Dawn dish soap suggestion, found out when I was a kid and used it to wash the car, made my job much bigger that afternoon when I had to reapply wax to the entire thing. It's all I've ever used. Having said that, I can see how the lighter fluid would be a possible alternative (after taking ALL necessary precautions as you can imagine) because it has been used in many ways over the years for things such as removing price stickers from items without damaging them, even cardboard packaging, and even in art restoration, cleaning, and so on. I think it's because it's so volatile it evaporates before it does harm, but I am just guessing on that. It works very well, better than Goo-Gone for decals and stickers/

If you are removing wax for painting then follow the above posts, if you are removing it to start fresh, wash it a couple times with Dawn as suggested then Clay Bar the painted surfaces, leaves you with a smooth as silk clean surface.