Anyone Ever Seen one of These? Driver Door Tag

Dashmaster

I am doing alot of maintenance and cleaning up on my car for a car show next week. I have pulled both door panels to fix some things and lubricate the window and locks assemblys. Found this paper tag attached to the drivers door panel. Looks like buid sheet for the door. Paper is really brittle and yellowed really bad. Removed the nut that was holding it but still lost the bottom corner. 

Here is a scan of it.

post-129566-0-73928400-1444568619_thumb.

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

Several of my retired buddies who worked in GM assembly shops around Flint, MI have told me lots of stories about things that were "accidently" left inside of doors while going down the line.......mostly whiskey bottles and cigarette butts, but some much more bizarre that I'll leave to your imagination.

Pulled a transmission out of a nearly new chevy truck , on top of the bellhouse was a message in black sharpe.

" bet this trans was harder to take out than it was for me to put in"

Must get boring in those assembly plants.

Yep, that's what I've been told.  Never (thank you, Lord) worked in one myself, but have heard LOTS of wild stories.

Most every plant has a party store, or three, across the street.  The half pints of booze fly off the shelves during break times and "the boys" sip the rest of the shift away.  Guess where they disposed of the empty bottles........rattle, rattle, rattle.

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled a transmission out of a nearly new chevy truck , on top of the bellhouse was a message in black sharpe.

" bet this trans was harder to take out than it was for me to put in"

Must get boring in those assembly plants.

I was the original owner of a 1978 Regal Turbo.  The very first day, we noticed some red tranny fluid on the ground.  Took it back to the dealer and they found the housing was cracked!  So with less than 100 miles on the clock, they dropped the tranny and replaced it.  Said there was a big mark "like someone had dropped a large tool on it"...

No, it's not a re-work ticket.

I can't remember which interior supplier made the Reatta door trim panels, but that is a manufacturing production/quality tag.

Each process is "signed off" by the operator who performed the task.

That list of operations on the left side of the tag are the various production processes used to manufacture the main door trim panel.

Voplex (shortened from Volmer Plastic Extrusions by my understanding) made much of the Reatta interior parts as a supplier to GM at the time. Their name is clearly visible stamped into the non-exposed surfaces of various trim panels and finishing pieces. They are no longer in business, though I don't know if they shuttered outright or were merged/acquired by another outfit.

Each major interior panel (door cards, ski door, interior quarter trims and the like) had a tag printed on an old impact printer and then initialed by the operator who completed a stage of production. Also had a date stamp which was presumably the production or final QC pass date after which it was shipped to Lansing (likely in large batches via truck or rail) for assembly of a complete vehicle.

I'm more interested in the process used. The vinyl covering used in the Reatta was clearly heat and vacuum pressed to the shape of the panels, and there are some rather severe curves and angles that had to be conformed to smoothly. Not sure how this was done without creases or tears caused by overstrech at the extremes like the integral arm rest on the door panels. Seems like a remarkable material and process though it has not held up so well with time (as seen with the aligator skin effect so common now).

The fact it is so difficult to replicate (Just Dashes does similar work but is not quite OEM anyway) makes me more curious about just how it was done.

KDirk