1920's Louis Vuitton Rolls Royce Curved Trunk With Fitted Luggage

beardbros

Personally, I would inquire of an East Coast auction house as to value. They will usually give an "estimate" value free of charge to help you decide if you want to list the item in an upcoming sale. Accordingly, this may also be the best and highest return route should you choose to sell. This example is not the most exciting to collectors (They like the patterend or monogrammed LV trunks a bit more as they scream "Louis Vuitton" to onlookers, and also this is a specific built "curved" model, rather than a standard shaped trunk) but I can't imagine it selling for less than $10,000 and possibly in the $20-30,000 range if you get two guys in the same room who want it bad enough. This is all assuming it's correct, original, and in excellent condition. In such a case, the sky is the limit. If it needs rebuilt, there are restorers but you need to choose a great one, not just a good one. If you can verify custom fitment to a specific body style Rolls-Royce then you may, alternatively, do well offering it via a classified with the RROC or similar. Finally, Louis Vuitton themselves should be able to offer an authentication of the trunk, they have done this for us in the past with other LV items we own. Best of luck, you have a lovely piece there.

Edit: After posting I found this site, they say they offer valuations and also buy trunks, but of course you may want several opinions of value before letting it go to these folks or anyone else. http://www.lvtrunks.com/contact

From the FAQ on that site:

"Do you buy trunks?

LV Trunks is looking for Louis Vuitton and Goyard trunks to purchase. If you have a Louis Vuitton or Goyard trunk you wish to sell, please contact Lindsey. Lindsey only responds to emails sent with the following: high resolution pictures of all sides, top of trunk, bottom of trunk, interior, label. Also, please provide up-close images of any condition issues to report, such as a tear, a missing piece of canvas, a broken handle, etc."

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

First and foremost get it authenticated through Louis Vuitton(you will need the shown serial number) , that is a key first step and will set the groundwork for everything that follows.  A specialty auction is a great way to go, make sure that it is advertised properly in Classic Car magazines and other automotive venues around the world.  It may pay to have it professionally reconditioned first - that is certainly up for debate.  If it is solid, complete, and in proper working order you will see a substantial payday from it. 

Edited by MrNova (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for the insight and recommendations! I am going to contact LV about the serial number and start there. I will update this post as I find out more.

Have you heard anything from LV as of yet? 

It would be interesting to know if they actually keep records of their merchandise.

Craig

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have received an email back from Louis Vuitton:

Dear Mr Beard, 

We thank you for your email and your interest in Louis Vuitton. We apologize for the delay of our answer, we missed your previous email and are really sorry for this mistake.

According to our files and informations sent, the trunk excelski coffer which contains 3 suitcases with inside number 768764, 768765, 768766 has been sold in 1926. Unfortunately we do not have more informations to communicate on those pieces.

Best regards, 

Bleue-Marine Massard - LOUIS VUITTON
service.patrimoine.fr@louisvuitton.com

I am putting this trunk up for sale, It is in pretty good condition considering it is 90 years old. It is covered in what they called Vuittonite canvas, their all weather coating. The nickel plating on the hardware is worn and the lower case handle has let go and it is missing its insert box, the other two cases are complete. Other than those couple issues this trunk is complete and original. All the hardware, even the rivets, have Louis Vuitton or LV stamped into them. I sent Louis Vuitton the serial numbers and they told me it was sold in 1926, that's all they knew about the trunk from their records. The dimensions are: front: 38 1/2" wide x 24" tall, bottom rails: 1 3/8" tall, side: 16 1/2" at the top, 23 1/4" at the bottom, bottom rear extends upwards 3 1/2" before starting the curve to the top. Research on pricing has turned up nothing like this one, but similar cases that are smaller start at $4k. I am open to reasonable offers. I included a picture of a 1926 Rolls Royce with this same trunk on it. This Louis Vuitton trunk had to be made to custom fit a Rolls Royce or similar large touring car. This would be a great addition to an all original car!

Jim 815-252-7247

IMG_7313.PNG

Guest Edward Gant

Dear Jim

I am very interested to buy that trunk

My email is info@lvtrunks.co.uk

Please contact me

Best regards

Edward Gant

www.lvtrunks.co.uk

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:20 AM, beardbros said:

I have received an email back from Louis Vuitton:

Dear Mr Beard, 

We thank you for your email and your interest in Louis Vuitton. We apologize for the delay of our answer, we missed your previous email and are really sorry for this mistake.

According to our files and informations sent, the trunk excelski coffer which contains 3 suitcases with inside number 768764, 768765, 768766 has been sold in 1926. Unfortunately we do not have more informations to communicate on those pieces.

Best regards, 

Bleue-Marine Massard - LOUIS VUITTON
service.patrimoine.fr@louisvuitton.com

Thank you for your following up on this. 

I aware that Louis Vuitton did, and still does identify their products with a serial number, but I was not fully aware of how far back they retained their records.   Your post now confirms this.

Thanks again.

Craig

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:28 AM, beardbros said:

I am putting this trunk up for sale, It is in pretty good condition considering it is 90 years old. It is covered in what they called Vuittonite canvas, their all weather coating. The nickel plating on the hardware is worn and the lower case handle has let go and it is missing its insert box, the other two cases are complete. Other than those couple issues this trunk is complete and original. All the hardware, even the rivets, have Louis Vuitton or LV stamped into them. I sent Louis Vuitton the serial numbers and they told me it was sold in 1926, that's all they knew about the trunk from their records. The dimensions are: front: 38 1/2" wide x 24" tall, bottom rails: 1 3/8" tall, side: 16 1/2" at the top, 23 1/4" at the bottom, bottom rear extends upwards 3 1/2" before starting the curve to the top. Research on pricing has turned up nothing like this one, but similar cases that are smaller start at $4k. I am open to reasonable offers. I included a picture of a 1926 Rolls Royce with this same trunk on it. This Louis Vuitton trunk had to be made to custom fit a Rolls Royce or similar large touring car. This would be a great addition to an all original car!

Jim 815-252-7247

IMG_7313.PNG

I would contact the Rolls Royce Owners Club as well, as there would be a lot more interest found within that group.

Craig