First time at Hershey, my thoughts

uh6077

What a overwhelming place to walk around. Just when you think you got it down, "I am just going to walk one side of the row then down the other" you get to the end and it opens up into another parking lot of like 1000 vendors. i walked the whole area and I guarantee I missed many vendors just because you get a bit lost. Everyone is extremely courteous and willing to explain their car or parts. The crowd doesn't seem like a crowd at all. I never had to wait in line to see something or work my way through shoulder to shoulder people. Never had to wait in line for the bathrooms but the food lines did get pretty long. By far the most common thing for sale were signs. If you ever get the feeling signs are rare then just come here, they are EVERYWHERE. Lots of people selling but I hardly saw anyone buying them. Next most common thing is Model A and T parts but that makes sense. Surprisingly a ton of Packard parts. I swear every other hubcap I saw was Packard. What was the most rare item there, well anything I was looking for obviously :-). Luckily I was on the lookout for Desoto grill and bumpers so I didn't have to stop and dig through every pile. I could slowly walk by and see if they had one or not. That doesn't mean I didn't get sucked into many booths to fawn over some of the amazing automobilia that was there. I ended up with a nice set of bumper overriders for about 25% off what they are on eBay (Not a smoking deal but there is something to be said for being able to hold something in your hand instead of looking at a screen). Got a NOS head gasket in the original package. My goal is to rebuild my engine using as many NOS parts as possible. Got some nice 1941 maps (NY and Maine since that is where my wife if from). Lots of other little bits to enjoy. I doubt I will make it a yearly event just because it is during the week but I would love to come back every 2 or 3 years. It really is a must see for car guys. 

• Like 1

We usually spend a few days but had only Wednesday this year.  I took my wife for the first time and we pretty much accomplished the goals set out for the day - find a few smalls from the list; show her "the experience - a little of the car corral, what fields are what, etc. and see some friends.  While we did not get through the list of people we wanted to see it was a great day.  I would only tell anyone looking for something unique to invest in the program. You have a couple of choices, I think, in approach, when time is limited especially.  We focused on Chocolate and did most of that field slowly.  Or you could identify those vendors specializing in your car and hotfoot it across the fields to see if they have your particular needs, done that and honestly while at times that may be necessary, it is a lot more tiring and more like "work".  Counting days already and planning on a full week next year!  

Tuesday arrived in afternoon, a lot more people here on Tuesday than I remember.

Set up and sold on Wednesday morning, spaces didn't fill in like I thought they would, sold a few things, not crowded. Walked fields in afternoon.

Set up Thursday am also and can't complain about what I sold. Walked files in afternoon and found a few goodies. Weather couldn't be better those two days.

Friday am hiked from opposite end of Green Field to Red Field by old stadium, to man the Pierce Arrow Society tent. I swear it's two miles there and six miles back!

It was a very good Hershey. Great weather. Overall seemed to be slightly fewer people, slightly fewer vendors, and a lot more "just parking" spaces.

Thank you, Hershey Region, for a great event. There are no bad Hershey''s, just good ones and better ones.

Please, Hershey Region, take the Orange Field and just sell parking spaces there.....offer some incentive, make it work, but when there's a row with two vendors and thirty locked cars, people just buying a parking spot, there's a disservice to both vendors and attendees......

• Like 2

I cam from Rochester NY, only about 4.5 hours away. Hit the museum this morning the headed home. I am not a big car show guy so I didn't want to stay for it. I prefer auctions so if I fall in love with so.ething I have a chance to buy it. Same reason I don't go to strip clubs, haha. I agree about the parking. I understand having campers and RVs parked in the vendor area and most of those were behind the vendors items but then you would have space after space of modern cars/trucks parked. No organization of parking makes it look pretty sloppy. Also they need to be better about enforcing rules. I was under the impression no bicycles or gas power gold carts were allowed but I sure saw a lot. Also pets. I literally saw a few older gentlemen carrying armful of parts that tripped on little bitty dogs being walked by owners not paying attention that the leash was a trip hazard. Like any event that large it can't be perfect but if a few small things get fixed every year it will continue to be a great resource for years to come.

yes a few to many vehicle driving around,  a lot of seemingly health people on electric scooters  many pulling Rhonda generators.  I thought the field were not vehicle between 11am to 2 Pm Thursday and Friday.  I never heard any acknowledgment this year prohibiting driving cars and trucks mid day. 

The weather  was super until the Friday 3:30 storm, but the PA system was warning everyone to buckle up and tighten your traps down. and the heaven opened for hours or two.  followed by the  worst traffics jam on the green field I ever seen since going to Hershey, 1990 to present.  Parked up and I went to continuing judge school then took a Nap to 5:30 PM  and when I woke and the traffic was cleared up.  Off to the UPS store near WISS Market and Applebees to send some items home.

Did I have great time?  i can't say "yes" enough.  

I am looking forward to the Judging and car show tomorrow, and the weather report look sunny again. 

A real thank you to AACA and  the Hershey  Region  FOR ANOTHER GREAT EVENT. 

Update:  judging was fun.  the car were magnificent 

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

Dave,

I was in and out of the Pierce tent a couple of times Friday morning with Ed.   You must have been over by the coupe?

Weather was great.   Every year a few less vendors and parts,  this is inevitable and there is really nothing that can be done.  The internet and the slow usage of the parts on actual cars and slimming things down.   If I was in charge I would try to push in the direction of a trade show & fea market and really promote the car corral.  I think you could be back filling those car sold spots for Friday and Saturday and get a fresh group of people.