Looking for info on my Diamond T

Guest jake1297

Guest jake1297

I picked up a restored 1934 Diamond T with 3 extra engines from an estate sale and am looking for some info. Or info where I can get info. I've been to Diamond T Classics and the site is old and unused also hard to navigate.

Here's what I know:

It's a 1934 Diamond T

Chassis #   89118

Model         261

GVW          12000 lb.

Truck Wgt.  4820 

4 speed tranny, top speed 44 mph

Hercules JXA engine

What I'd like to know is:

HP of the engine.

Anything about this model, can't find a thing online.

How many were produced?

What is the production number of this one. I believe I read somewhere it was the last two numbers, or maybe the last three numbers of the chassis number.

Any help would be appreciated

Hercules JXA:

Bore 3 3/8

Stroke 4 1/2

Displacement 228 ci

Comp ratio 5.16:1

Torque 141 lb ft @ 1000 rpm

Max hp 63 @ 2800 rpm

Oil capacity 6 to 20 quarts depending on oil pan. Fill to 4/4 mark.

Terry

Guest jake1297

Thanks to dictator27, any information is good information. I did change the oil a few days ago, not knowing how old it was. It took 6 quarts, to fill to the top line on the dip stick. In reference to the 4/4 mark. Being new to the old, I never heard that before. What is it's meaning?

4/4 simply means it is full. It does not mean it takes 4 quarts. Engines which take 20 quarts have the same marking. Probably the same dipstick since it is the depth of the oil pan that changes.

Terry

• 4 months later...

From my American Truck Spotters Guide. A model 261 is a two ton truck. Confirmed a 1934. 1933's and 1934's were basically unchanged for those model years. In summer of 1933 the Deluxe model was introduced with a V windshield and styled Grill. Would like to see some photos. Dandy Dave!   

As mentioned, diamondtclassics seems to've fallen on hard times, a real shame...

You might try checking out

ATHS---American/Antique?? Truck Historical Society

Justoldtrucks....altho both heavily concentrated in more modern stuff, still good

resouces for info/other DT owners, AND justoldtrucks has a parts rebuilder, parts

restorer, parts sources list in their Vendors and Restorers section...

The Antique Car/Truck forum on smokstak...

There's another very small site: antiquetruckclubofamerica, but, like the above,

free, so why not??...

DT was involved with Reo for awhile (DiamondReos); I know the Reo club include

anything Reo, trucks included, but don't know if they've tried to include older

DTs to compensate for the DT website mouldering...

Hercules JXA:

Bore 3 3/8

Stroke 4 1/2

Displacement 228 ci

Comp ratio 5.16:1

Torque 141 lb ft @ 1000 rpm

Max hp 63 @ 2800 rpm

Oil capacity 6 to 20 quarts depending on oil pan. Fill to 4/4 mark.

Terry

Terry, 3 3/8 x 4 1/2 gives 242 cid. the same as your  (and my)  Studebaker (and several other engines).

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

It is not for sale today.... Someone sent me his contact info  to pass it on to the owner.. I just can not find it...  He had a diamond t dump truck..

I thought you said you helped him load something in it last night ??? Wayne

If your 1934 Diamond T was built for a top speed of 44 mph, that was quick. My father's timber mill company had a wartime tandem drive Diamond T and Rodgers trailer, that was set up to transport army tanks. He knew what he was doing in the war surplus auctions, and split up the day's cash for purchases between himself and several others. Ben Baxter was the foreman of the engineers' shop at the mill with discretion and responsibility; and this beautiful rig was sold to his final bid of 800 pounds, which was his entire budget for the day. He drove out the gate, and as he started to drive into the partnership's compound straight across the road, someone yelled at him that there was no entry permitted to the army!.... My father was less than pleased, because that was all they could buy with a quarter of the day's budget. Ben pointed out that they did not have another heavy tandem drive truck, and they frequently needed to transport heavy loads. It was a brand new truck, the tyres ware new, it ran on diesel, and it did not really matter that it was left hand drive because the driver could see over anything ahead. Well, they soon parked the Rodgers trailer, and set it up with a lowloader semi. It had a Hercules diesel engine, the same as used in Oliver Cletrac FD and FDE bulldozers. It made a lot of money, and saved a lot of money; And seven years later when it was replaced by something less patient, it sold for 8 or 9 times what was paid for it. The driver was never stopped or bothered by the Transport Regulation Board; and when he did met one of their people socially, the fellow told him they had tailed him for countless miles, at 28 miles per hour maximum. So, you can be pleased that yours is a quick one; and you wont get your feet tangled in your beard, driving it to meets.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

PuttPutt14 : 1929 Diamond T truck  6 cylinder 4.00 " bore x 4.50" stroke = 339 cubic inch { motor } engine ; 38.40 H.P. ; Serial numbers { a.k.a. chassis numbers } ( located ) on name plate on Dash. Motor Number( located ) on right hand side of { engine } motor on crankcase . Motor { engine } HERCULES , Model # ? located on engine { Motor } DATA Plate.  For Your Information : 1929 2 1/2 TON DIAMOND T truck Models 502 , 505 , 550 with HERCULES MODEL W X C  6 cylinder  engine ( Motor ). AUTO-LITE IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR MODEL #  IG-4143 { OR } IGC-4005 B ; DISTRIBUTOR CAP # IG-1323 . D H P

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2015 at 5:33 PM, jake1297 said:

I picked up a restored 1934 Diamond T with 3 extra engines from an estate sale and am looking for some info. Or info where I can get info. I've been to Diamond T Classics and the site is old and unused also hard to navigate.

Here's what I know:

It's a 1934 Diamond T

Chassis #   89118

Model         261

GVW          12000 lb.

Truck Wgt.  4820 

4 speed tranny, top speed 44 mph

Hercules JXA engine

What I'd like to know is:

HP of the engine.

Anything about this model, can't find a thing online.

How many were produced?

What is the production number of this one. I believe I read somewhere it was the last two numbers, or maybe the last three numbers of the chassis number.

Any help would be appreciated

jake1297 : CHASSIS NUMBERS 89062 to 89119 for 1934 model 261 Diamond T truck. 57 total model 261 Diamond T trucks produced for 1934. DHP

On 7/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, auburnseeker said:

If you get a chance could you find out a price and post it? 

Only one person pm me a phone number. I Just drop it off at her house.. Not sure if they still have it..

Did some work today at my old property  - I talked to the neighbor she told me it is gone...

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

• 3 years later...