brake light switch

Guest fastbusa

Guest fastbusa

I have a 1938 dodge d-8 .i  am in the process of rewiring to a 12 volt system. im trying to find out how to wire a brake switch, it only has two wires coming from it.I ordered a new brake switch ,im just waiting for it to come in. I don't see any wires coming from the steering column.

hi, if your wiring is anything like my 53 pontiac, it has a two wire low pressure brake light switch, it doesn't matter which of the wires goes to which switch connection, you step on the brake pedal, creating brake fluid pressure, which closes the contacts inside the low pressure switch, one wire is hot, the other wire goes to the turn signal switch, with the turn signal lever and switch in the middle, both brake lights will come on, move the lever and switch to left or right and the flasher will work that light to flash off and on.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Guest johnjackson

My 55 Buick is the same way. Simple and easy low pressure switch. Really cheap and easy to swap or instal on another vehicle if they don't have brake lights.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 6V brake switch will work just fine with 12V.  Don't they make 6V converters?  Just change over the starter to 12V and leave the rest 6V if you want to avoid the expense of converting everything. 

Why are you going 12V?  My 6V cars start and run great, even drive them at night.