Clutch Question

Taylormade

The clutch pressure plate and disk were removed from my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL (six) several years ago.  The disk was relined and the pressure plate resurfaced.  I put everything back in a few weeks ago and, naturally, while reading the owner's manual today I discovered the following -

"CAUTION: before removing the the clutch, mark the clutch cover and the flywheel to insure reinstalling the clutch in the same relative position to maintain the original balance."

Needless to say, this wasn't done.  I've put redone clutches in several 40s Mopars over the years and never ran into a problem with this.  Have I just screwed myself?  if so, is there any remedy for the problem I've created?  I guess i have a one in six chance of being correct since there a six mounting bolts.

Any advice or experience is welcome.  Thanks!

That was my thinking also. As I said, the clutch disk was relined and the pressure plate resurfaced after checking the springs, so the "balance" was probably changed anyway. Well, if I drive the car and it vibrates like a son of a gun, then we'll know we're wrong. Sometimes I think the owners manual is designed for one thing - to cause the owner excessive worry.

• Like 1

I believe this general warning has been placed on every clutch kit made.  If you resurfaced the flywheel/pressure plate then there will be no problems. 

I have never had to resurface anything for clutch replacement. I suppose if a flywheel was badly scored that would be different  but to this point(and at my age I hope to never do another clutch) I have had zero issues.

Guest Bob Call

I have changed and swapped clutches on lots of cars. Usually the pressure plate assembly was balanced at the factory. The friction plate doesn't have enough mass to worry about imbalance. Never had any problem.

I have changed and swapped clutches on lots of cars. Usually the pressure plate assembly was balanced at the factory. The friction plate doesn't have enough mass to worry about imbalance. Never had any problem.

Same here. Perhaps lucky, never needed resurfacing a flywheel or pressure plate.

Ben