For 53 olds 88 guys

Guest Plumber

Guest Bob Call

Never blue on the the 49 the 56 303 and 324 motors. They were green with yellow lettering on the rocker arm covers. I'm not sure but I think the 371's were silver. 394's were either turquoise blue or red depending on compression ratio.

Anyway, when you tear it down and hot tank it all of the paint will be gone.  Hot tank the heads, block, rocker covers, oil pan, timing cover and intake manifold. I wouldn't hot tank the water pump. You can strip it with remover from the hardware store. Then paint them with the proper colors. Go down to the Oldsmobile forums and ask what the proper colors are and where they can be purchased.

Bank in the day in the 50's when I ran a 324 in a drag car I bought plain rocker covers (no lettering) at the GMC parts counter and had them chromed. In addition to 247 Pontiacs in the p-cups GMC used 303 Olds and 322 Buicks in the larger trucks.

Never blue on the the 49 the 56 303 and 324 motors. They were green with yellow lettering on the rocker arm covers. I'm not sure but I think the 371's were silver. 394's were either turquoise blue or red depending on compression ratio.

Anyway, when you tear it down and hot tank it all of the paint will be gone. Hot tank the heads, block, rocker covers, oil pan, timing cover and intake manifold. I wouldn't hot tank the water pump. You can strip it with remover from the hardware store. Then paint them with the proper colors. Go down to the Oldsmobile forums and ask what the proper colors are and where they can be purchased.

Bank in the day in the 50's when I ran a 324 in a drag car I bought plain rocker covers (no lettering) at the GMC parts counter and had them chromed. In addition to 247 Pontiacs in the p-cups GMC used 303 Olds and 322 Buicks in the larger trucks.

Anyway, when you tear it down and hot tank it all of the paint will be gone.  Hot tank the heads, block, rocker covers, oil pan, timing cover and intake manifold. I wouldn't hot tank the water pump. You can strip it with remover from the hardware store. Then paint them with the proper colors. Go down to the Oldsmobile forums and ask what the proper colors are and where they can be purchased.

The only blues were in the mid and late 60's ( light metallic blue like Pontiac on Toronado and early 70's ( dark Metallic ) 1957-8 371 was gold.

FYI Pontiac never made a 247. For 1955 Pontiac cars and light GMC P/U was the 287.  For 1956 Pontiac car and GMC P/U was the 316.6. For 1957 Pontiac car and GMC was the 347. For 1958 Pontiac car was the 370 while GMC used a small bore version at 336 and for 1959 the Pontiac car was a 389 and the GMC version was also a 336 .

Here is the correct engine color for a 303;

250px-Rocket_v8.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest Plumber

The only blues were in the mid and late 60's ( light metallic blue like Pontiac on Toronado and early 70's ( dark Metallic ) 1957-8 371 was gold.

FYI Pontiac never made a 247. For 1955 Pontiac cars and light GMC P/U was the 287. For 1956 Pontiac car and GMC P/U was the 316.6. For 1957 Pontiac car and GMC was the 347. For 1958 Pontiac car was the 370 while GMC used a small bore version at 336 and for 1959 the Pontiac car was a 389 and the GMC version was also a 336 .

Here is the correct engine color for a 303;

250px-Rocket_v8.jpg

Guest Bob Call

I stand corrected. The GMC used a 287 Pontiac not 247. In 1956 went to 316.

I don't think a stock 4 barrel will be worth the effort and expense as it won't give a whole lot of increase in performance. Yes, 51 thru 53  2 and 4 barrel intakes are interchangeable. Part #560670 for 51 - 53 2 barrel, and, part #561779 for 52 -53 4 barrel.

The engine picture posted above by helfen shows the gold rocker covers with the separate Oldsmobile Rocket plug wire retainers. This combo was used from 49 thru at least 51. I think the green painted covers with the embossed Oldsmobile Rocket were introduced in 52 definitely by 53 and running thru 56.  

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

well some pontiac 287's and 316's that were dealer's showroom display engines were painted blue. olds 371's were never silver, they were gold painted, when the olds 394 came out in 1959, they were painted green, then when 1962 started, the 394 with to red paint. gmc trucks never used the olds 303, last year for the 303 was 1953, gmc trucks didn't start using pontiac, olds , and buick V8's until 1955, so it would have been the olds 324. 

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

well some pontiac 287's and 316's that were dealer's showroom display engines were painted blue. olds 371's were never silver, they were gold painted, when the olds 394 came out in 1959, they were painted green, then when 1962 started, the 394 with to red paint. gmc trucks never used the olds 303, last year for the 303 was 1953, gmc trucks didn't start using pontiac, olds , and buick V8's until 1955, so it would have been the olds 324. 

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

That's correct Charles, I'll just add that the Pontiac engine was used in GMC on the 1/4 ton and the Olds engine was used on 1/2- 3/4 GMC. Another mostly unknown fact is when the 1957 Olds car got the 371 the GMC got a Olds version of that engine which was a 370. Also like Pontiac, Olds engines were gone from GMC by 1960. GMC preferring to use their new BIG V-6.